Author Topic: Little ones  (Read 1853 times)

hashed

• Born Again Christians
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Yeb
  • Belief: Christian
Little ones
« on: September 23, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
I have a question regarding these two correlated parts

Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
-Luke 17:1-2

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
-Matthew 18:6

Is 'little ones' a metaphor or should it be taken literal? Or both?

Audio teaching #0184 and  #0238 tells it is a metaphor (smallest under the believers or new believers).

This article seems to take it literal: http://creationliberty.com/articles/religioncatholic.php
Also this forum post http://www.creationliberty.com/forum/index.php?topic=254.msg1655#msg1655

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 447
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Little ones
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »
You're sharp because when I added that verse into the Catholic article, I wondered how many people might catch that. I had considered not adding it in, but I looked at it two ways, the first, that Catholics don't understand the metaphor, and therefore would take it literally, and therefore, I considered the perspective of ignorance on the matter in the hopes a Catholic may read it and judge themselves properly. The other aspect was that some of these children did profess belief in Christ, which would be offending the "little ones" which believe on Him. Good job catching that.  8)
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18