Author Topic: Got a question on the King James Bible  (Read 4171 times)

GODSSERVANTclb11

Got a question on the King James Bible
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:27:26 PM »
Hello everyone

My daughter just got me a 1611 King James Bible that has the Apocrypha in it. Can anyone explain to me what this is and is this   
something that is good or bad? thanks

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 56
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Laura
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Got a question on the King James Bible
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 12:35:23 AM »
Hi Cary. I have read that the Apocrypha is not the inspired Word of God. The Catholic Church is the only one to include it as part of Scripture. The KJB translators only included it for historical context. Christopher wrote an article on this topic that explains more thoroughly.

https://www.creationliberty.com/articles/kj1769.php

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 456
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 01:07:38 AM »
Laura's right about that. The problem is that there is a sect of people who claim "1611 Authorized Version," and refuse to hear anything else, but the problem is that first edition had 400 printing press errors, most of which were corrected during the first years after it was printed. The 1769 version was the final edition of the KJB, and it has the 400 printing press errors fixed, as well as the Apocrypha removed because those books are not God's Word.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

GODSSERVANTclb11

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 02:17:33 AM »
So there is nothing to gain from it at all and i shouldn't read this one right? Thank you

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 10:11:32 AM »
It does not mean there is nothing to gain. For example, someone could read the law of God in a new-age bible version and come to conviction of guilt of their sin, but the problem is that new-age bible version is not good for study because it is corrupt.

This is not to say that the 1611 KJB was corrupt, but it had mistakes made at the printing press that were not caught until later. (It is difficult to catch small errors like that in a book that has over 1200 chapters.) The fact that it only had 400 printing press error is amazing, but those were slowly corrected over the next few years, until the final release was in 1769, and the 1769 is the standard KJB you will find everywhere today.

The problem I have is that there are many cultists out there who think there is a special power or blessing they get by holding an original 1611 in their hand, but ignore the fact that it has errors in it. Personally, I do not associate with those people because they seem quite superstitious to me.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 12:21:51 AM »
I have a 1611 version but I got it mainly as kind of a novelty item. It's hard to read because of the small print and the inconsistent spelling.

GODSSERVANTclb11

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 02:11:51 AM »
yes i know the writing in that Bible is very small. My daughter owns a thrift store and Ft Lauderdale and she always sending me Bibles of all kinds. I was going thru the Bibles that she just bought up the last time she came up i found another King James Bible call The Expositor's Study Bible by Jimmy Swaggart. When i first got into the church for good i started collecting Bibles and when i study i would have 10 or 15 different Bible open at a time reading them. The more i learn i got away from reading a lot of the different Bible because i could see that there where different meaning of certain scriptures so i didn't trust what they where saying. My first wife got me a nice big King James Bible but it was really hard for me to understand at that time. When my wife was hospital for the three months before she past away a friend got me a NASB and that when i really got into reading and studying the Bible with my wife. I have used the NASB since 2009 until recently when i found you guys. I listen to your audio message where you read the Bible before you do your topics and it has helped me out so much understanding the King James. I'm working on going thru my NASB and transferring all my notes and highlighted scriptures to my big King James Bible.   

clinton_post

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 10:53:49 PM »
I use the 1611.  All Protestant bibles had the Apocrypha in it until 1833ish.  The Catholics Apochrapha is not the same as the Protestant.  Theirs is mixed in the Old Testament.  They try to grasp for straws to prove their false doctrines through using the Apocrypha.  It doesn't work when you read the verses. The Apocrypha, not being considered Cannon or Scripture, is still a good read and has some historical information in it.  If you want to part from the Bible your daughter gave you because you feel weird about the Apocrypha, I will buy it from ya. 

On another note, where are all those 400 printer errors in the 1611?  I know of some, but not that many. 

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 12:07:53 PM »
We are neither Catholic or Protestant, so that does not apply to us. Furthermore, Foxe's Book of Martyrs is a "good read," but that does not mean it belongs in Scripture as God's Word.

Where are the 400 printing press errors? They are in your 1611 version. If you want to read a 1611, go for it, but why insist that there is some sort of religious superstitious power in reading the KJB with the printing press errors in it? As I have already stated, the real reason is because there is a superstitious cult out there that is teaching "1611 only," when some of the KJ translators were involved in fixing the printing press errors.

Being willing to buy his copy from him demonstrates a lot of that superstition, and I'm not sure where you learned all this from, but someone has taught you strange things.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 12:21:34 PM »
This article gives a good explanation of what, exactly, was changes in the various 'revisions' of the KJB:

http://www.earnestlycontending.com/ewministries/others/printingerrors.html

I don't know much about the author of this article, so I would not recommend any of his other teachings, but he at least seems to know the history of the Bible.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 134
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 10:13:04 PM »
I don't know much about the author of this article, so I would not recommend any of his other teachings, but he at least seems to know the history of the Bible.
Will Kinney, the author of this article, has the most thorough and in-depth research in defending the Kings James Bible I've ever seen. If you have a question concerning "errors" in the KJB he probably has comprehensive answer here:
https://brandplucked.webs.com/

HOWEVER, Will Kinney is a rabid Calvinist. He also, as far as I've seen, will NEVER call out any heretic or false teacher, even James White, who also is a Calvinist, as a false convert.

Again, this guy's research regarding the KJB is massive and quite useful, BUT his doctrine, with exception of the preservation of God's word, is corrupt.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

madonnajean

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 3
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Madonna
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 11:49:16 PM »
I understand that most of the corrections that were made had to do with spelling. but one mistake was in the 10 commandments " thou shalt commit adultery".

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 04:51:49 AM »
I understand that most of the corrections that were made had to do with spelling. but one mistake was in the 10 commandments " thou shalt commit adultery".

I believe that was in the 1631 revision and the printer was fined for the mistake. It wasn't in the original 1611, though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:54:55 AM by Jeanne »

MeganIA

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 30
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Megan
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 08:52:15 AM »
 The apocrypha is not inspired but it is merely a reference for the history. My question I always had for church leaders was why there was a time gap in the bible. I was always told that it was because God was not giving any revelation. I can understand that. However, when trying to read a prophetic book like Daniel, it is difficult to decipher which prophecies have already occurred and which ones have not particularly in a time as today where we lack an understanding of history. This is why I think these end times preachers are so successful today with their 7 year tribulation theology.

The book of Maccabees talks on Alexander the greats conquering of Judea and samaria and the terrible leader that did a lot of awful things there after Alexander died and his kingdom was split. All of this was foretold in Daniel 8. When I first read this chapter, I thought it was talking about the Roman empire not the Greek. However I had no understanding of either empire, and it forced me to go research it.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.