Author Topic: New Age "bibles" distort James 4:5  (Read 2317 times)

Severius Brandusa

New Age "bibles" distort James 4:5
« on: March 30, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »
The King James Bible correctly reads:

James 4:5 -
Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

But almost every other English "translation" reads:

(New American Standard) -
Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"?

(New International Version) -
Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us?

(English Standard) -
Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”?

(Holman Christian Standard)-
Or do you think it's without reason the Scripture says that the Spirit who lives in us yearns jealously?

(New King James) -
Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

---

See the difference?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:22:04 AM by Severius Brandusa »

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Re: New Age "bibles" distort James 4:5
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 04:55:25 AM »
While it's clear just from what you posted that these other corrupt 'translations' change the meaning of what the King James says, you really have to look at the surrounding verses to fully understand what is being said:

James 4:1From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? 2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. 3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

This verse is clearly talking about the lust of the flesh (human spirit) that still dwells in all of us and has nothing to do with the Spirit of God.

Thank you for pointing this out!

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:04:24 AM »
Yeah, you're absolutely right, I just wanted to point out that specific verse being altered the way it was because posting the whole chapter for each version would've been a bit much. However, the very next verse after James 4:5 gives the other "translations" away for their perversion because it says "but He giveth more grace." Something being said after a statement would not make sense to start with the word "but" unless there was a sort of contrasting correlation involved. The King James is the only one that makes any sense when you consider this.

It's like saying, "We transgress God's law but God is forgiving." Compared against "God loves us but God is forgiving." The first example makes sense while the second statement would need to change the word "but" into "so" or "therefore". I hope the examples make sense. Sorry if it sounds convoluted.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »
It actually makes perfect sense. I can see why you only wanted to post that one verse in the other translations but seeing whole context in the KJV just makes the corruption in the other ones stand out even more.

I'm really glad you're here and so eager to learn. Your humility is something very rarely seen around here. You haven't been here very long so you never saw the earlier incarnations of this forum and how many people we had to kick out because they kept insisting on trying to teach false doctrine.

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:50:50 PM »
Thank you so very much. I honestly need a lot more humility and pray that the Lord Jesus Christ leads me to decrease and to deny myself daily so that His Name is ever glorified in the life that He has given me. God bless you for your kindness, Jeanne.