Author Topic: Isaiah 29:21 is a rebuke against "social justice" censorship.  (Read 4972 times)

Severius Brandusa

I was listening to Christopher Johnson's part 7 on Charismatic Gibberish and he had made mention of how the "social justice" agenda causes the general public to be afraid to say certain things that in-and-of themselves are not offensive, but because of this social-conditioning has made people to now see certain words as not only offensive but prejudice. While he made mention of this, a verse came into my remembrance which I believe speaks on this issue clearly.

Isaiah 29:21 -That make a man an offender for a word, and lay a snare for him that reproveth in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nought.

Let me know if you guys agree or if I'm misunderstanding something. God bless you all and thank you!

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Re: Isaiah 29:21 is a rebuke against "social justice" censorship.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
It's a bit easier to understand when we look at the whole paragraph:

Isaiah 29:17 Is it not yet a very little while,
and Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field,
and the fruitful field shall be esteemed as a forest?
18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book,
and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity,
and out of darkness.
19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord,
and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
20 For the terrible one is brought to nought,
and the scorner is consumed,
and all that watch for iniquity are cut off:
21 that make a man an offender for a word,
and lay a snare for him that reproveth in the gate,
and turn aside the just for a thing of nought.

In that context, it would seem that what you said is correct. It makes sense to me but I could be wrong, too.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »
I think you are right.  Thanks for pointing that out!  I may need to use that sometime.  (Dealing with a couple of friends that won't speak to me or tell me how I have offended them, so I have to just let them go.)  Words may not be offensive, but society does bully people into agreeing that they are.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:27:26 PM »
Thanks Jeanne and Tonya for your answers. It's amazing how the Bible speaks on so many things that are incredibly relevant today. Shows that the people of this world have always been of that same "spirit" even since men began to multiply upon the face of the earth. And Solomon was surely inspired by the Holy Ghost when he wrote, "There is no new thing under the sun." God bless you two.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 11:52:31 PM »
because of this social-conditioning has made people to now see certain words as not only offensive but prejudice. While he made mention of this, a verse came into my remembrance which I believe speaks on this issue clearly.

Isaiah 29:21 -That make a man an offender for a word, and lay a snare for him that reproveth in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nought.

No. That's not what's being talked about, and I would say it is not even close to the same context. If you read carefully through Isa 29, it's a rebuke of wicked men who lay in wait for the righteous. The word that is spoken to them is a word of Biblical rebuke, which is why it follows by saying that they lay a trap "for him that reproveth," doing evil (turning aside) for meer trinkets or pats on the back (i.e. for a thing of nought).

If someone says something that's considered offensive on a political level, that's not even close to what's being talked about here because the wicked do that to one another in this country. Many who supposedly battle against the "social justice warriors" are wicked themselves, and I know because I've seen many aspects of this after studying feminism. Isaiah 29 is speaking of the righteous children of God being harassed and attacked for daring to prophesy from the Word of God, and in the following three verses, God foretells of the Lord Jesus Christ to come in response that wickedness.

That make a man an offender for a word, and lay a snare for him that reproveth in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nought. Therefore thus saith the LORD, who redeemed Abraham, concerning the house of Jacob, Jacob shall not now be ashamed, neither shall his face now wax pale. But when he seeth his children, the work of mine hands, in the midst of him, they shall sanctify my name, and sanctify the Holy One of Jacob, and shall fear the God of Israel. They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.
-Isaiah 29:21-24
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:43:39 AM »
You are absolutely correct in what you said, Christopher Johnson. I'm sorry for making it sound like I meant it only applied to "social justice" censorship. I intended it to especially apply to how the world attempts to not only shut us Christians up from speaking the Word of God to them, but how they also try to get us in trouble for doing so, but I didn't mention that. My interpretation was incorrect. Thank you for your rebuke because it was needful for me to have the entire context and not just a singled out verse. God bless you, brother.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »
I'm not even sure how to respond when people listen to me because I'm not that accustomed to it. Thank you for listening to me. I think the rubber's going to meet the road with the "social justice warriors" when the word "sin" becomes "hate speech." It already is in their minds; it's just a matter of time.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 05:12:34 PM by creationliberty »
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
I really do desire to know the actual Truth of God's Word and not be deceived by what I think is a proper interpretation just because I think it sounds "good". I don't want to fall under the same condemnation as the cherry-pickers. I really appreciate you for correcting me and I'm not just saying that. And yeah, the transition of preaching against sin becoming labeled as hate speech and culturally offensive has already begun. Soon enough it will be against the law completely. Sadly, I know that it will be the worldy, professing "christians" who will be the most aggressive against us when we preach.

I believe now that it is better for me to just read the articles and above all study the Bible in its context for a great while (asking Jesus Christ for the wisdom of His Holy Spirit) before posting any sort of interpretation on the forum. If I post anything it will be a question or just a mention of something going on. God bless you all who read this and may your day be filled with the understanding and comfort of Jesus Christ our Lord and God.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 03:22:41 PM »
I think the rubber's going to meet the road with the "social justice warriors" when the word "sin" becomes "hate speech."

Again anyone can see the totally faulty logic if the word "sin" becomes "hate speech."  That would then mean that they are saying that we are sinners if we use the word 'sin'   .....  but they said the word "sin" is "hate speech" and so they themselves are then guilty of the very thing they said they were against.

I have actually been right through this whole scenario with "pastors" and others in the church buildings and when their logic falls to pieces it is a sure way to make them go in to a wild rage   ....   which is itself a sin.

Ephesians 4 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. 30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 32 and be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »
It's already illegal to preach against homosexuality or to call it 'sin' in Canada and has been for quite some time. My question to them would be, which is more hateful? To warn someone of the dangers of going to hell or to keep silent and let them find out the hard way?

Severius, please don't be reluctant to post what you've learnt or to ask questions. That's how we ALL learn. Sometimes the questions people ask on here are things I've never even thought of before.

Masha

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:12:47 AM »
Here in my country you will be fined if you call homosexualty wrong or if you exclude homosexuals. Let alone the socialpressure on those who speak out against it. I think the Bible and the Gospel especially is considered offensive, and it is probably a matter of time that that opinion will be translated in rules and regulations. We allready have laws that force companies to hire women, etnic minorities and disabled people, next step will be the gays. And next the pedophiles???? The world is wicked.

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »
Severius, please don't be reluctant to post what you've learnt or to ask questions. That's how we ALL learn. Sometimes the questions people ask on here are things I've never even thought of before.

Thank you, Jeanne. God bless you. I really do want to learn more as well, and this site is a wonderful place to do so.