Author Topic: (ARTICLE) Is Repentance Part of Salvation?  (Read 6278 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 447
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
(ARTICLE) Is Repentance Part of Salvation?
« on: April 20, 2018, 04:11:48 PM »
If any of you have been unwilling to read any other teaching I've done, I would plead with you to read this. I originally had written this as a response to some hateful emails I'd received, but now this is a full length teaching, and I think it may be the most important teaching I will ever give.
http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/repent.php
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
Re: (ARTICLE) Is Repentance Part of Salvation?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »
This is a VERY POWERFUL article!!!  I loaded it on a device to read it to me and even after repenting of my own sins, I still am humbled by repentance!!!  May the Lord continue to humble me and keep me from evil!
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:15:23 AM »
It just occurred to me that since this is such a powerful and fundamental teaching, you should have it pinned permanently to the home page of the CLE website.

Mozzie

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »
I am watching this on You Tube at the moment, finding it very interesting so far.

Jackie

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 11:25:34 PM »
I know it has been some time since this was posted. I just wanted to say thank you for this article and the subsequent teaching. I agree that most people that preach on repentance believe it means to turn or to change your mind. I know that is what I was once taught. I would like to believe that those who teach it like that at least are implying that grief and godly sorrow go along with that turning or changing your mind.
 I think that grief and godly sorrow could be implied, as why would someone want to stop sinning or change their mind about sinning without feeling bad about it, at the very least? But repentance can definitely be mistaken for a works based salvation with those definitions, surely. So it is best to be as accurate as possible with what repentance means. Make it clear that there should be grief and sorrow to God, and do not just imply it.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 12:08:16 AM »
Jackie, I have to be forward and say that some of what you're saying is both charitable and naive at the same time. Charitable in the sense that you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but naive in that you have not yet seen how preachers out there who, in their teachings, openly mock those who come to tears of godly sorrow.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Jackie

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 12:15:36 AM »
Jackie, I have to be forward and say that some of what you're saying is both charitable and naive at the same time. Charitable in the sense that you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but naive in that you have not yet seen how preachers out there who, in their teachings, openly mock those who come to tears of godly sorrow.

I am certain this does happen. I know that Stephen Anderson is a prime example of that. Thankfully I cannot think of any person I know personally that has done that. At least mot that I can recall. However I am just 24 years old so I still hope my inexperience will be understood to some degree. I fully expect to be disappointed more and more by false converts as I get older though.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
It's not a matter in which there will be a debate about turning from sin. I've had preachers try that on me as well; where they would try to accuse me of not teaching that Christians should turn from sin. They obviously have never listened to my teachings. The problem is that attaching godly sorrow onto turning from sin and trying to combine that all into repentance together still creates a works-based doctrine, and the reason they want to eliminate godly sorrow, or rather, they reject it, is because as soon as you tell them what it means, they quickly look at themselves and realize they've never gone through that. Immediately after that point, they try to pull up some Scriptures in their minds in which they think you'll have a hard time answering them, not to find the truth, but to try to create doubt in your mind so they can justify themselves. I'd tell this same thing to anyone; this is what will happen in the majority of cases you will encounter, most especially in church building leadership.

Jackie

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »
I'd tell this same thing to anyone; this is what will happen in the majority of cases you will encounter, most especially in church building leadership.

I have no disagreement with you on that. I believe you. Kind of wish I could ask my old pastor and his leadership about what they think repentance means. It would probably explain a lot of their issues. But I have no contact with them now. All I can do is pray for them and those in their care.