Author Topic: The restrictions of blood, violence and gore.  (Read 8978 times)

Jelvyc

The restrictions of blood, violence and gore.
« on: March 16, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »
Here's the perspective I'm coming from. Whenever some sort of horror franchise is favored or there's a zombie walk day or something like that, I would tell them that they hate God because of the death, blood, violence and gore they love in the horror genre. But those very people respond: Hey, it's just for fun and besides, the Bible has plenty of death, blood, violence and gore in it, so what's the difference?

And on an off-shoot argument is the agnostics will also shield kids from the DBVG (Abbreviated for death blood violence and gore) despite how many third world countries have to deal with those things at birth.
Should we completely shield children from the DBVG or not?

Either of these questions are inevitably tied together but does anyone have an answer for this dilemma I'm struggling with in my head?

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: The restrictions of blood, violence and gore.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »
I can't figure out the source of your dilemma except that you may be confusing violence and gore that occurs in what we now call "nature," (i.e. post-flood world) with violence and gore that occurs for the purpose of entertainment.
But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.
-Pro 8:36
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Jelvyc

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 09:15:16 AM »
I realize that we do live in a post flood society and that it will grow into the world before the Flood as Matthew 24 predicts.

The stem of my argument is on those agonstic parents who want their kids to grow up with no acknowledgement of the violence in our world despite it being one of the most unavoidable things everyone goes through life. I mean, it is one of the bases for their crusade against spanking their kids since that's apparently too violent for them. Even some of the biggest "kid friendly" industries try to protect kids like this. Like Disney with their adaptation of the events surrounding Pocahontas when those events were actually darker than that depiction.
I'm just concerned for those kinds of kids for when they grow up and not having experience violence might cause some damage to their minds when they come across some violence.

This is by no means an argument for violence. I'm just saying putting anyone, kid or adult, in that type of bubble is not a healthy way to live through this violent world.

I myself as a kid was aware that there's always something to be afraid of and that those fears ought to be challenged. Which may be why I've watched some of the scariest horror movies I could find (most especially of them were The Birds, The Thing and It the mini-series). I didn't watch them because I love death but because God's love is stronger than fear and I was testing that. And also because I'm not one to lightly let fear overtake me.
After all, doesn't God put us through fire to refine us as gold? Oh wait, he does.
1 Peter 1:7
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
Did you just sarcastically attempt to justify horror movies to our church? If so, please state in plain words what it is you want to say. Most of your posts in this thread are confusing. Make your point simple, so someone can respond to it without having to write a novel.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Jelvyc

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
Did I justify horror movies? Not at all. I merely meant that scary things can only be scary if you let them scare you. Yes, there are terrifying things that are good to be afraid of but my pastor has always said that the Devil is like the Wizard if Oz. Satan puts on a show to make indimidated but really, God's the only one we should be afraid of.

While I don't justify showcasing blatant violence and gore to little kids, they need to also understand the unimportant things they're afraid of aren't anything to be afraid of such as horror movies content or even the Halloween movie content.

My original point is that we all grow up witnessing horribly violent scenarios. I mean Chris mentioned how few kids get to watch a witch's ceremony in a doctor's office (aka abortions) and that's a terrifying thought as it is. But many responders through their gritted teeth remark how "violent" God was in the Old Testament or how violent Jesus was beaten before dying on the cross.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:52:34 PM by Jelvyc »

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
QUOTE: "I've watched some of the scariest horror movies I could find... God's love is stronger than fear and I was testing that... After all, doesn't God put us through fire to refine us as gold? Oh wait, he does."

You just attempted justify watching horror movies as "trail of your faith," and then lied to me about it when I questioned you. If you want to claim that you didn't do that, then go back that pastor you mentioned in whatever church you go to and whine to him about it; don't bring those excuses to our church and lay them on our doorstep.

I want people to be honest with me. What you just said was the same as if someone came on this forum and said the following:
"I went a nudist beach and checked out all the women... God's love is stronger than temptation and I was testing that... After all, doesn't God put us through fire to refine us as gold?" Every Christian reading this knows that would not be justified. All I did, in that example, is take the sin of murder (and other such demonic activity), and replace it with the sin of fornication/adultery. It's all still sin. It's the same exact argument you made because you're putting sin (i.e. murder and other such violence), that you know to be sin, in front of your eyes.
I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. -Psalm 101:3
You do it on purpose, and then say "I'm doing the righteous thing for God," by sarcastically saying "Oh wait, he does."
And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
-Luke 11:4

If you want to compare that to (for example) a parent allowing a child to see a pig taken to slaughter to make ham, in which there is no sin, then you are in serious need of the milk of the word.
For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
-Hebrews 5:12-14

It sounds to me like your attending a leavened church building if you believe this kind of stuff. You're welcome to share with everyone where it is you go, and I'm sure one of us would be happy to check it out for you.

Jephte21

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
If you let  your child watch blood and gore movies you are training them to love evil and violence. The bible says in proverb 22:6 :Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. I use to watch movies like this in my ignorance but when I learned the truth about them I sanctified myself.

Romans 16:19 King James Version (KJV)

19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 12:54:21 AM »
Personally, after coming to know the Truth of Jesus Christ, all movies and even the mention of shows and movies just vexes me and I despise it all. I thank the LORD Jesus Christ for that because I desire to have the love of the Father, not of the world. I used to be a Final Fantasy addict; those games and characters sucked me in, but now it just disgusts me and by the grace of God I am able to reject all of those types of things. When your eyes become opened by the Light of the Lord Jesus Christ, you are able to clearly see how all that is not of the Father, is of the Devil. There is no justification to vexing yourself with the things of this world.

Ezekiel 14:3 -
Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart, and put the stumblingblock of their iniquity before their face: should I be inquired of at all by them?

smolemong

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 31
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Silindile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »
Colossians 3: 1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
 I think plenty of wisdom has already been imparted but I think verse 2 especially supports Severius' statement.
Romans 8:5-6 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. [6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 01:48:15 AM »
Colossians 3: 1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
 I think plenty of wisdom has already been imparted but I think verse 2 especially supports Severius' statement.

Praise our Lord Jesus Christ! :) Thanks for expounding, friend.

Masha

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 03:57:27 AM »
When I started reading the Bible I found it to be an extremely violent book. I initially thought that I could just read through the Bible like a studybook in reasonably short time. Boy, was I wrong. I got stuck several times, due to my inability to understand what i was reading, and also because God described in the OT is so harsch.
I had too rethink my ideas about the Bible, as it is like no other book I ever read and needed to pray and ask for God guidance. He would then leads me to Scripture that I could understand.
So, indeed there is heeps of violence in the Word of God. Violence, blood etc are sadly part of life on earth after the fall. I cannot shun my children from that fact, even if I wanted too.
But feeding them entertainment-violence with make-up stories and movies is not only wicked but also foolish. Everything a child absorbs becomes part of his internal make-up. The unescapable violence in our world today is plenty to give my children a clear, honest realistic concept and cawareness of violence. Why would I have to add to that with man-made wickedness etc.??? De-sensitising children to violence does NOT make them more able to deal with the world. It will only alter their natural reaction to violence, and I do not want to do that. Whenever my children see violence, I hope that they will be shocked and appaled not indifferent!! And, that counts for real violence AND the garbage-violence availavble on tv and the internet.

Severius Brandusa

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
The Bible is the Truth and also an historical record so it would make sense that it records a slew of bloody battles and instances. Man, from the beginning, has always been full of violence. I would rather read the true history of everything and feel a bit uncomfortable due to my misunderstanding than to read something filled with "fluff" and "gooey vibes" that is also a comforting lie. Masha explained it very well.

Jelvyc

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 09:17:45 AM »
I think you're off track on what I'm saying here. We live in the age where the flow of information is free for all ages. These days, kids will see inappropriate material wether we do our best to restrict them or not. Not justifying, but rather an observation.
I mean just look at Devianart. Their "safe" mode is really soft and not very conservative.
One of these days, we'll have children's programming that will allow the characters utter profanities and no one will bat an eye to it.

And Chris, nude beaches are harder to find than a goblin mask you can get at Walmart. So would the biblical standard be that we should restrict kids from entering any shopping establishment simply because they advertise some things that our country used to consider as vulgar?

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 09:57:42 AM »
Gerald, I'm not sure what's wrong with you on this. Severius just referred you to the Bible, and you referred him to "Deviant Art."

Masha referred you to the Bible, and you referred her to TV, (i.e. "children's programming.")

I pointed you to the Word of God, which I'll do again here:
But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.
-Pro 8:36

But you refer me to Walmart.

You talk about the world, we talk about the Scripture. All of us are united in the truth of the Spirit, so why are you fighting and arguing against it? We preach the truth of God's Word that Deviant Art, Walmart, and TV producers would come to repentance and faith in Christ.

Would you do me a favor and provide us a link to the church building you attend? I'd like to see it for myself.

ericmonge84345

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 03:49:00 PM »
I wish to keep the peace, share some scripture, I took my time to research,read before typing this out:
1 Thessalonians 5 "
14 Now we exhort you, brethren, war them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient towards all men.
15 See that none render evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
16 Rejoice evermore.
17 Pray without ceasing.
18 In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
19 Quench not the Spirit.
20 Despise not prophesying.
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

I refuse to agree which your argument Jelvyc (regardless of what ever angle or perception ). I will agree that we are surrounded by violence, wickedness and everything which is evil in the sight of the Lord God in heaven. There's hardly anything a person can do to keep children from discovering this.
That doesn't make it good to disregard God's word and justify the world. From what I read, is what you are doing(even though Christopher did so already, so sorry if I'm out-of-turn).

Jelvyc

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
I'm not going against the Bible. I'm talking about how people love attacking the violence in the Bible while reveling in the violence the media and marketing towards kids (i.e. Pokemon being one of the biggest franchises). I just come to understand their point of view that violence shouldn't be the foreground of what we as Christians preach to not just kids but the newly born again Christians. However, I also realized how different we'd all be if we were never exposed to fear and never having to confront them. There's three good things that fear can bring about:
First, An adrenaline rush, much like how you get on a rollercoaster
Then There's also a sense of hope that comes with fear as well
And thirdly, the appreciation of being challenged
Then again these are emotions as the Bible warns us not to let our emotions get in the driver seat of our actions. But God does challenge us every day, and gives us enough hope to see through the end of the day, right? And adreneline keeps us energized.

Really the shorthand version of my question is this: While we ought to obstain all appearances of all evil, the appearances of evil will come along like pop-up ads no matter where we are or how isiolated we are. So should we completely shield ourselves from these fearful things?

And, Chris pardon me if I don't quote the Bible as often as you do but I have a terrible memory when it comes to studying the Bible. That is, I read the Bible, I get what it says and I do keep the general idea in my head (genealogies not withstanding) but it's the referencing the book and verse numbering I have trouble with the most. I apologise if that upsets you.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »
Gerald, are you incapable of giving a straight answer to a direct question, or what? Chris has asked you several times where you go to church and you have ignored him.

You seem determined to justify accepting violence in entertainment because there is violence in the Bible and nobody here is ever going to buy that. If you want to do all that wicked stuff, go for it. We're not going to tell you what to do or what not to do, but don't come in here and try preach that garbage to us. If you're looking for someone to agree with you, you're in the wrong place.

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

As for your excuse of 'not being able to remember' specific Bible references or where to find certain passages, there are plenty of online Bible sources where you can just type a portion of a verse into a search bar and it will bring up what you're looking for. BibleGateway is the one I use but there are plenty of others, too.

Bottom line is, you either follow God or follow the world. You can't do both so pick a side and quit being so wishy washy about it. This whole thread makes absolutely no sense and all you seem to want to do is waste our time by arguing against what the Bible clearly says.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:59:06 PM by Jeanne »

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 05:17:44 PM »
Really the shorthand version of my question is this: While we ought to obstain all appearances of all evil, the appearances of evil will come along like pop-up ads no matter where we are or how isiolated we are. So should we completely shield ourselves from these fearful things?
Multiple people already answered you in this thread, and based on your response, it sounds like you've rejected their answers. So if you don't want our answers, then why are you still asking us? Why not go to your church and ask?

And, Chris pardon me if I don't quote the Bible as often as you do but I have a terrible memory when it comes to studying the Bible. That is, I read the Bible, I get what it says and I do keep the general idea in my head (genealogies not withstanding) but it's the referencing the book and verse numbering I have trouble with the most. I apologise if that upsets you.

upset: to disturb or derange completely; put out of order; throw into disorder

If you want to use that excuse, that you just "upset me," and that's why I responded as I did, then take that excuse somewhere else. You just got done talking about how we ought not to let our emotions cloud our judgment, and then accused me of letting emotions cloud my judgment because that's what "upset" means in that context.

What I was giving you was called rebuke and repoof:
rebuke: to chide; to reprove; to reprehend for a fault

I am now starting to get angry, due to frustration, because you keep repeating your question without acknowledging our answers. If you don't like our answers, that contained the Scripture to answer them, then find somewhere else to go. I said the things I said to you because I detect a strong amount of leaven in what you're saying, and I want to know what church building you go to, since you mentioned it in a previous post, so I can check it out for myself and see if my suspicions are correct. If there's nothing wrong, why hide it? Have I hid anything from you and everyone else? Why you are so reluctant to share that information with us is making me more suspicious, so I'll ask again, and perhaps you missed the giant, bold, highlighted print from last time; I'll make it bigger just in case:

Would you do me a favor and provide us a link to the church building you attend? I'd like to see it for myself.

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 16
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Thomas
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »
I'm just going to add this on real quick....

Proverbs 15:10-12 Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die. Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men? A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise. A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.   -Psalms 119:72

Jelvyc

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »
Do mean the Facebook page of my church? Because that's really all we got for a link. We're not one of mega corporate churches.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Victory-Baptist-Church/155527577815848

I don't like harping on subjects more than need be. I just find the irony/hypocrisy in the censorship boards where they ban the Bible because it's "violent" and yet promote adult themes into children's marketing.