Author Topic: Question about the doctrine of "callings"  (Read 1991 times)

A

Question about the doctrine of "callings"
« on: July 09, 2019, 03:33:45 AM »
I've been researching about the doctrine of "callings", which defined, is practically the doctrine that there is a specific profession that God wills each person to work in throughout their lives. I honestly think I may have ended up following in other denomination's doctrine and belief that there is a specific calling we are called to do and if we do not do it, we are sinning against God for disobeying his will. I don't know how exactly do they find out about their "calling" either. (I do not support their denominations, they are not biblical anyway)
Is there any Biblical scripture about this matter? I am aware that there is a "calling" of the Holy Spirit for men to be saved, but what I am trying to find is the issue on this doctrine, not about the "calling" of the Holy Spirit.(If I'm not wrong there was something about this on the forum in the past) I honestly haven't found anything yet on this issue itself in terms of Scripture
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:41:10 AM by A »

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Re: Question about the doctrine of "callings"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »
There is nothing in the Bible that says anything about what kind of job or career anyone is supposed to have in life.

I think the only Scripture that would apply to what you are asking is this:

Colossians 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: 23 and whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24 knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

A servant could either be a slave or a paid employee but the same principle applies to both.

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »
Im not sure, it seems like hes referring to this.?? 

1 Corinthians 12:28-31

28And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. 29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 31But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 07:47:53 PM »
This is a second thread of Nathan's in which no one is asking him for his definition of what these things mean. That's why no one can pin down what he's talking about.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18