• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Angel
  • Belief: Christianity
Music
« on: November 07, 2017, 07:43:14 AM »
Reading the article on Christian Rock, brought in a lot of aha moments for me. Not just with music, but with other aspects of my life. As a very young Christian (not in age :-) ), there is so much I must learn so I live my life with discernment and wisdom based on the Word of God. The only way this is possible is by knowing what God wants from me and to do this is by studying His Word. I have started doing this, but can anyone share with me how they are able to memorise each verse and how they study the bible effectively. I am currently in the book of Matthews, but if you ask me to quote passages I will not be abe to without opening up the bible. Most importantly this is my armour of truth and as its said in Psalm 119:105 'Your Word is like a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path' (And even with that I have had to double check on google to make sure I got it right). At the moment, God being so good to me when something is wrong ( which I mostly can't explain why), something in me rejects it. However, I am living by His Grace and I wish to carry on growing in His Grace, so any help with learning how to study the Bible properly will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :-))

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
Hi Angel,
I understand the difficulty. I have gone through many learning experiences since I got saved. I had a hard time reading the Bible at first, as I was approaching it as a study (historical) book, and therefor was blind towards it's truth. When I started praying before reading, the Book became Gods Word for me. It just showed me so many answers to my questions!
You say in your post :  something in me rejects it. THATS IT! That is the Holy Spirit that leads us into all truth. Without that Spirit it is impossible to understand God correctly.
So, for relying on our own capacity to analyse, memorise etc. it really the wrong way. Pro 3:5, Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  We can never have enough knowledge or understanding.  It's God that gives understanding.
 1Co 8:2, And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
 1Co 4:4, For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

I use a program called Bible Analyzer that you can download for free. It is possible to download different Bibles into that program, which works very well for me since I know and study in multiple languages. You can then simply delete or not download all the corrupted versions:-) that many of these similar programs have embeded in them.

I am teaching my children to memorize verses. (  Pro 3:3, Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: )
 Pro 22:6, Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. )
They do very well. Repetition is the best way for them to learn them. They also better in their mother tongue (Dutch) then in english. We have a blackboard in our lvingroom, where I always write a Scripture. That also helps.

We have a series of cd, with Bibleverses on music by Patty Valliant, called : "Scripture songs". There are (I believe) 6 cd's and they have helped me a great deal to memorize verses. I am listening to these cd's for years now, and most of the verses used I know by heart.
I used to print out verses and chapters from the Bible in a big font, and then stick them on my livingroom door. That worked well also, and made me able to memorise certauin passages and psalms.

In spite of this, I can testify that on many occassion while witnessing or in conversations a verse will pop up in my mind. I sometimes need to look it up to be exactly correct but I believe that Gods Spirit works in a Born again Christian in that way. He will give us Scriptures and words from His Bible, that we never memorized.
So , I do believe it is very important to study, read and know Scripture, (   2Ti 2:15, Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. )
but I also believe we can trust God to give us the wisdom, words and understanding we need , when we need it.

I hope this helps,

Masha

Offline AngelG

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »
Hi Masha - Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I will definitely look into your recommendations. I really like the idea of verses into songs a lot to help memorise, especially as I love singing :-)... Thank you for sharing your experience with me as well.

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL2) Sojourner
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Susan
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:06:37 AM »
Singing scripture really helps me also.  I find when I'm reading scripture that I've learned through song, I actually sing it while I'm reading it.   :D

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL7) Veteran
  • Edification: 42
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »
One suggested method was to download specific software, the other typically requires some sort of musically creative skills. I personally think these are bad suggestions because they can't apply to all people. Without the need for special knowledge or skills (outside of being able to read), the best way to learn anything is through good old fashioned repetition, and the best way to get lots of repetition is to teach it, either verbally or in writing, which is what we are all called to do:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
-Matthew 28:19-20

The definition of "prophesying" is to deliver the Word of God to others, and women in the Bible did this as well. In conversation, being able to support what you're saying with a verse requires you to memorize it, or if you have a situation where you have to write it out many times, you memorize it fairly quickly.
Don't focus as much on memorizing entire chapters or anything like that, but when you come across a passage that is particular ammunition you know you'll need in conversation with someone, that's when you'll find the most motivation to memorize something. Sometimes, you can write them out and tape (or print out and frame) them to the wall in a place where you frequent, like a kitchen, bathroom, or office, and that can give you plenty of repetition.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline AngelG

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 12:45:07 PM »
Hi Chris - Thank you for your suggestion. I really never looked at quoting scriptures, as prophesying. As you rightly pointed out repetition is key. I am musically inclined which is why I liked the idea of singing verses.

Hmmm...so much to take in. I must admit I feel happily overwhelmed :-)...

I will learn.