Author Topic: (WEEKLY TEACHING) The Biblical Understanding of Pride p4  (Read 3040 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
(WEEKLY TEACHING) The Biblical Understanding of Pride p4
« on: June 17, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »
The Biblical Understanding of Pride p4
(Evidence of God Judging the Proud)
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

davehenry

Re: (WEEKLY TEACHING) The Biblical Understanding of Pride p4
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 01:41:37 PM »
Hiya,been a while since i've been on the forum but,really njoying the teaching,plenty to gleen from and convicting also,praise God!
I got a home gym about 4 years ago for health reasons @ the beginning @ least as was having alot of seizures and put on alot of weight comfort eating in bed.The seizures calmed after a while,nyhow,so many kept saying up to 7 months ago,How strong i was and how big etc esp in the church building used to attend.I then started to train for the wrong reasons,out of vanity and not health,the seizures picked up again about a year ago,but i didn't stop,cut down from 3 days per week to 1,had other warnings for a number of months and 7 months ago badly damaged a tendon on left bicep and can't lift anything with any weight with that arm anymore and is extreemly painful if tried.I think i should've taken heed to what the Lord was trying to say for a while but ended up being blinded with pride and vanity.The Lord let me off very lightly,alot worse damage could've been done.Shows how merciful the Lord Jesus Christ is and have i've lost 1 1/2 stone since stopping using the gym and dumping it out.
You mentioned Robin Williams this week,he absolutely hated God and cursed hiim constantly in his comedy sketches,in a movie he did-Patch Adams,a child dies and he says,On the seventh day God should've used for compassion instead of resting,maybe not 100% of the quote but that's basically it.I only vagley remember that clip from youtube as i never saw the whole movie but did say that the devil is maybe just God when he's drunk in a sketch.I hope and pray ya'll are doing well!

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 08:19:54 AM »
I just went in to talk to my husband and he was watching a video where some guy was talking about the moon landing (he doesn't believe it happened, either) and he started talking about pride. He defined pride as an unwillingness to be wrong and the more I think about it, the more that seems to make sense.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
No, an unwillingness to be wrong is a symptom of pride, not pride itself. Pride is the exaltation of oneself, in which one is lifted up above others, making oneself to be superior in rank, physique, knowledge, etc. Due to that, a result is the unwillingness to to be wrong; that attitude develops from pride.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
No, an unwillingness to be wrong is a symptom of pride, not pride itself. Pride is the exaltation of oneself, in which one is lifted up above others, making oneself to be superior in rank, physique, knowledge, etc. Due to that, a result is the unwillingness to to be wrong; that attitude develops from pride.

With that said, would one be correct in saying that haughtiness is the manifestation, or out-working, of pride?

HAUGHTINESS, n.  The quality of being haughty; pride mingled with some degree of contempt for others; arrogance.

Ezekiel 16:49-50 KJV  Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
Haughtiness is pride. They mean the same thing. The base word you're looking for is 'haught':
haught: high; elevated; hence, proud; insolent