Author Topic: Uh... What?  (Read 99 times)

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL7) Veteran
  • Edification: 42
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christianity
Uh... What?
« on: November 01, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »

Maybe I just didn't see it somewhere in the New Testament... does anyone know what this guy is talking about? Provide the verses if you can. It sounds like he's just one of those new-age leavened preachers who tries to get everyone to think he's a Christian.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL2) Sojourner
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Susan
Re: Uh... What?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
I'm assuming it's from Luke 7, but he clearly didn't read the whole passage.

Luke 7:16-29Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

16 And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people. 17 And this rumour of him went forth throughout all Judæa, and throughout all the region round about.

18 And the disciples of John shewed him of all these things. 19 And John calling unto him two of his disciples sent them to Jesus, saying, Art thou he that should come? or look we for another? 20 When the men were come unto him, they said, John Baptist hath sent us unto thee, saying, Art thou he that should come? or look we for another? 21 And in that same hour he cured many of their infirmities and plagues, and of evil spirits; and unto many that were blind he gave sight. 22 Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached. 23 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

24 And when the messengers of John were departed, he began to speak unto the people concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness for to see? A reed shaken with the wind? 25 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? Behold, they which are gorgeously apparelled, and live delicately, are in kings’ courts. 26 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? Yea, I say unto you, and much more than a prophet. 27 This is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. 28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he. 29 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.

I don't see how John's disciples were upset by this man Jesus.

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL7) Veteran
  • Edification: 42
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
But if that's what he was referring to, then nothing he said applied to those verses. In no way did that describe what happened in Scripture.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 36
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:58:59 AM »
Yep, just looked up another one of his videos. It's 48 minutes long but I only watched the first 2. He's teaching his congregation that they are part of the body of THAT PARTICULAR CHURCH, not part of the body of Christ. I didn't watch long enough to figure out how he ties 1 Corinthians into that...

No idea what he was referring to in that video clip you posted but just wanted to see what other kinds of things he said.

Then I got even more curious and looked up the church first (Verity Baptist) then the guy talking. His name is Matthew Stucky and he even has an entry on IMDb! (Internet Movie Database) He's an actor and a writer. (And yes, that entry said he is known for Verity Baptist Church...  ???  ::) :P

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL2) Sojourner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »
Right Chris.  I wonder which version(s) he picked from to get to the point he was trying to make.  Clearly he shouldn't be teaching the Bible.  But then, based on what Jeanne said, he's just a charlatan.

It's amazing that people will just agree with whatever their "pastor" says without verifying what is actually in the Bible. 

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
Hey Sue, I found that to be true of all the religious groups out there. Not many muslims have actually read the koran, not many buddhist actually know about their doctrines, and hardly any of the new-agers know what the filosofy behind their occultism is really about. Same goes for freemasons, catholics, jehovas witnesses and so on.
I think Jesus is the only one that wants a real personal relationship. He is the only one that wants people to follow Him wholeheartedly. No other religion requires that.

I quess that's why we are that peculiar people:-)!!

1Pe 2:9, But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL2) Sojourner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 02:37:13 PM »
I love that we are a peculiar people!!