Author Topic: ALTERNATIVE(S) TO MAN'S MODERN DAY CHURCH - THOUGHTS?  (Read 146 times)

Offline Lance Baker

• (LVL0) Newly Registered
  • Edification: 3
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Lance
  • Belief: Christianity
ALTERNATIVE(S) TO MAN'S MODERN DAY CHURCH - THOUGHTS?
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »
So, as a new member to CLE, I joined the forums to also hear, learn and get ideas from other members with the same mindset.   

We know that in Romans 10:25 we are told:
      "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

And indeed it is good and commanded, that we join ourselves to other Christians for all the reasons we know that are listed in the Word.     

Now we all agree that today's man-made, modern churches, modeled most notably on the Roman Catholic system, are for the most part corrupt.   And I am of the firm opinion that Satan has done his work to infiltrate the majority of them, rendering them of no effect in today's society, and of no use to spread the "true" Gospel as commanded.   

Many of us have been called out of these churches, and yet we remain committed to serve the Master, if not even more-so because of this calling.   However, many others have left the modern churches out of disgust as well, and are hoping and yearning for something more, only to find the same thing everywhere they turn.   And of these, many fall back into the trappings of the world and all it's sinful pleasures.

So here are a few questions intertwined with my own thoughts:

• What alternatives are there that "WE" can create?    Home-Church, Bible studies?    If we simply sit back and wait for others to do something, nothing will ever get accomplished.   Jesus is looking for work-men and work-women.
  • Without some sort of a structure for such a group, it will inevitably fall apart,or some hot head will want to overtake it and become it's -- here we go --- wait for it --- "pastor!".    What type of structure could be put in order to hold the body together and block any attempts for such a take-over?   I say such a structure is in the Word of God, and all the information we need is there.   But we must ensure that all the members of the body of Believers adhere to the principle laid out for us.
  • Will it be easy -- NO !!!!   Will it work the first time we try it?   Not sure.    Will Satan throw all of his forces against us to stop it -- ABSOLUTELY!!!

I am fully convinced that something a bit bigger than a Home-Church could be formed with the right body of believers and with a dedicated group of elders, like-minded and led by the Holy-Ghost in all things pertaining to it.   I have some experience with Home-Churches, and have also seen many and heard of many that have failed.   I am convinced that Jesus is calling us to do something - to recreate the "Church" he intended for his people to worship him in.   

One individual I conversed with told me:   "The church you are seeking does not exist.  Give up on that idea."    I asked him in response,   "Why? Why? Why?   Why are Christians so quick to take on a defeatist attitude?   Are we as Christians so pathetic and beat down and lacking in Faith that we will just simply go along to get along with today's modern churches?"

What are your thoughts?
What have you tried or done?
What structure could be put in place to ensure the body of true believers is protected from internal and external forces who would want to overtake the body, yet not be a structure that falls into the ways of these man-made, modern day churches?

Lance in Mesa, AZ

Offline TonyaJ

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
  • Edification: 1
    • View Profile
    • The Chicken Whisperer
  • First Name: Tonya
Re: ALTERNATIVE(S) TO MAN'S MODERN DAY CHURCH - THOUGHTS?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
 It sounds like you were trying to do what is good to go. That is a really good thing. If you feel like you need to start a home church, then do that. It is biblically to do it. The main goal is to do what is right according to God‘s word.
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 2 Cor. 6:17

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL7) Veteran
  • Edification: 42
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
The problem is I can't start home churches for everyone. That's kinda'... eh... look, I don't even know what I'm doing. I'm trying to handle problems as they arise, and I'm just dealing with things as they come along. Basically, as long as you've got two saints, you've got a church. So just get together to study, and pray for it's growth, then handle things one step at a time. What a lot of people don't understand is that when your church isn't very big, you don't need a structure yet. Don't put the cart before the horse.

On that point, I've received TONS of emails from people trying to put the cart before the horse. They write me about how to start a church, when they have no one to join up with yet. They write me on how to raise and store money for a building, when they have no one to join up with yet. They write me on what positions the church should have, when they have no one to join up with yet. I would tell people to go lay a foundation first, then cross those bridges when you come to them. I mean, we've only got about 10-12 people so far, and only about half of those live where I am, so we don't need this structured system just yet. In the book of Acts, they did those things because THOUSANDS had been born again at the very start, but unless you've got a hundred people on your hands, then you need to start slow, concentrate on one thing at a time, in the proper order, meaning that you should be studying and preaching first, then let God give the increase according to His Will.

The point is, when the time comes for you to know and understand what to do, the Holy Spirit will guide you in His Word.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 03:42:50 AM »
Hi lance,
Mat 18:20, For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

14, Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

With that in mind, you probably will conclude that you will have a small group of born again believers within the gathering you want to organise.
I understand the desire to create a Biblical church, yet I truly believe that in the times we live in, the church is often the biggest enemy a Born again Christian can find. The Church is for believers, not for unbelievers. A Biblical chruch would be there for study, fellowship and discipleship. But in these end times there are not many true believers.
I think it is best to 'have church' with those we know seek the truth, and are truly born again. Let go of the idea what churches look like nowadaysm, they are not Biblical anyway.
Accept that it will be small groups and gathering mostly in livingrooms. I do not see how that would take a lot of organisation, as we have the Word to tell us how and what. And with just a few people, that should not be difficult.
Most important I believe is that it should be THE LORD JESUS leading you/us, as He knows and He is able.
So prayer should be in every step of the way.

Offline Lance Baker

• (LVL0) Newly Registered
  • Edification: 3
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Lance
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:12:47 PM »
Sorry for the late response to the several posts. Been busy with work and then also my laptop took a dive. So here I am using my smartphone to respond. 

Some very good responses and sage advice from those of you that did respond. Thank you for taking the time.  Most notably some information that Christopher gave.

Indeed no need to worry about something bigger when one may find it a daunting enough to ask just to get a home Church started.    That certainly would be the first step then, which is to find a small group of Believers that are lockstep in what the Bible teaches and what I believe as well.