Author Topic: be not unequally yoked  (Read 7305 times)

Mr. Redflame

be not unequally yoked
« on: September 06, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
I'm curious if anyone's thought about marriage like this before. maybe these verses are sufficient enough.

But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife? -1 Cor. 7:12-16.

then..

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? -2 Cor. 6:14

Does anyone have an opinion on unmixed marriages? or about whether the verses even allude to that? also, do you think the bondage mentioned in 1 Corinthians has anything to do with or is even connected with the idea of believers being "unequally yoked" in 2 Corinthians?"

I feel like their is a connection, in regards to the latter question.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:42:05 PM by Mr. Redflame »

Mr. Redflame

Re: be not unequally yoked
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 03:52:19 PM »
oh, of course, you can add what you know the word has to say in regards to this.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »
I do not understand what you are looking for. Can u reword the question

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
Christians are not to marry non-Christians, but if one spouse becomes saved AFTER they are married, they shouldn't separate if the non-believer is still willing to stay with the believer.

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 04:39:19 PM »
Thanks Jeanne, I do suppose this needs to be brought to light for the Christians that may still be unaware.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:48:06 PM by Mr. Redflame »

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 04:42:16 PM »
I do not understand what you are looking for. Can u reword the question

Well I was curious If anyone knew about or thought about marriages in that way before. Did you ever hear about this from someone who wanted explain this "doctrine" to you or did anyone ever introduce this concept to you before?

If you have or haven't then ...
Does anyone have an opinion on unmixed marriages? or about whether the verses even allude to that? also, do you think the bondage mentioned in 1 Corinthians has anything to do with or is even connected with the idea of believers being "unequally yoked" in 2 Corinthians?"
sorry for not clarifying, (I'm) newly neurotypical here (?).

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
Have you read the book Chris wrote on marriage?

http://creationliberty.com/articles/marriage.php

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »
I believe I did read some If not all of it (though that was when I had a more autistic brain), but I don't think anything on their answers what I'm giving as a question here. edit: oof I should add that that article may not even mention unmixed marriages
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 05:15:46 PM by Mr. Redflame »

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 05:34:07 PM »
What do you mean by 'unmixed marriages'? I've already said that Christians should not marry non-Christians but it's fine for two Christians to marry or for two non-Christians to marry. The only type of 'mixed marriage' there is is between a Christian and a non-Christian. And yes, Chris does address this in his book.

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 05:48:20 PM »
What do you mean by 'unmixed marriages'? I've already said that Christians should not marry non-Christians but it's fine for two Christians to marry or for two non-Christians to marry. The only type of 'mixed marriage' there is is between a Christian and a non-Christian. And yes, Chris does address this in his book.

Yea, by unmixed marriage I meant exactly what you just wrote. and yeah, he mentions unbelievers departing from believers, but seems not to follow that by saying that marriages should be remain unmixed henceforth, i.e. after the divorce with the unbeliever the Christian only seeks out other Christians to marry. edit: again, sorry for not clarifying.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 05:50:59 PM by Mr. Redflame »

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »
Ooooh, right I think I understand why you asked if I had read that article.

I'm guessing that in order for this post to be taken more seriously; I must read the entirety of that article, right? because Chris did show that he had an issue with people skimming over his information. if this is the case then my apologies.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 06:15:41 PM »
Yes, I would suggest reading the whole thing first and then, if you still have questions, you can come back and we can discuss it.

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 06:24:28 PM »
ok, will do. hope I don't embarrass myself by finding out that it was on their all along.  :)

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 09:27:49 PM »
 :o I'm not finished reading, but I've gotta say; he's got great marriage and relationship advice to benefit both believers and unbelievers.

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 07:01:54 PM »
Alright I'm finished. their was no indication in the article that he ever speaks against mixed marriages. aside from that he has made some really good points.

under chapter 3: These Christian men and women would be eligable for remarriage because, as Paul states, they are not under bondage of the law of marriage at that point. [Chris, can you tell me why you use "bondage" here? and would you ever consider "yoke" to be more acceptable?]
under chapter 3: Ultimately, it is God's Word that makes all the difference; His commandments unto mankind in relation to the fallen nature of sin is the entire foundation of marriage. [which makes a lot of sense. His word is good.]
under chapter 7: I once had a young man write me and talk to me about how he had read the truth about the pagan wedding rituals and danger of getting a marriage license, and he wanted to sanctify himself away from them to stay Biblical on the subject; however, he was scheduled to be married soon and his fiance wanted all the traditional ceremonies and documents. We exchanged letters on the subject, but it turned out that he feared his future wife and the pressure from her family more than he feared God, so he decided to go ahead with their wishes and I never heard from him again. The major problem was that he didn't stop to consider what kind of wife she would turn out to be if she refused to marry him without all her fancy pagan traditions,... [of course, we'd consider this person to have likely been a false convert. and I understand that her worldly philosophy could have potentially been found out.]
under chapter 5: The modern American philosophy of instant gratification (i.e. "I want it, so give it to me now despite the consequences"), is what causes men to jump into marriage before considering what his responsibilities are; often following the lust of the flesh instead of acknowledging the truth. On the other side of that coin, feminism in our society has further destroyed his opportunity to have an loving, obedient wife who, with faith in Christ, willingly gives her husband the authority over their household, and so I caution young men that they should take careful consideration of the philosophical foundation of a marriage before dating because,...etc. [I understand that one could take this you promoting Christian marriages, but if nothing is said about keeping them unmixed or the potential necessity of keeping them unmixed, then Christians will likely continue to court unbelievers, and under said yoke one could say that they've entered a sort of bondage.]

If anything all I'm considering is that you could give this its own place in that article. If you find something wrong with this concept (Christian-only marriages) then please add your thoughts, or more preferably the word itself.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:07:01 PM by Mr. Redflame »

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 07:04:18 PM »
Sorry every time I got to the word fiance it just cuts the rest of the text off, oof.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:07:52 PM by Mr. Redflame »

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 10:56:39 PM »
Yeah, if you're not using a PC or laptop and typing directly into the post box, the post will cut off at the point where there is an apostrophe. I keep forgetting that myself if I'm using my phone to make a post.

I still don't understand what your question is, though, or what it is you're not clear on.

Marriage is meant to be a lifelong commitment between one man and one woman. If one spouse dies, the other is free to marry again, if they so choose. However, if they are divorced, the spouse who left would be committing adultery if they were to remarry while the spouse who was NOT responsible for the divorce can also remarry if they want. Again, Christians are ONLY supposed to marry Christians, though.

I don't know if this answers any of your questions or not and I know you specifically asked Chris about these things but if I can't understand what it is you're asking, I can almost guarantee you he won't, either.

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 11:22:45 PM »
I was in a realtionship with a girl for about 6 years, before I was saved and a little bit after.  We had a kid together, and I was saved at the time and it was usually miserable between the two of us, always disagreeing and arguing.  I dont know why youre asking about marriage with an unsaved woman, but I would like to say that its a terrible and difficult time.  I know I wasnt married and this is all about married people 1 Corinthians 7--15: But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.   She left to her moms and Im FREE now! A huge weight was lifted off my shoulders! 

Mr. Redflame

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »
ok guys, I'm sorry if I'm being rude while I say that I'm making this my last post here on this subject. I'll be leaving this here for future consideration. hopefully Chris can decipher my English lol. :D but most importantly I'm glad that I haven't monopolized the truth here. maybe you have a reason for not adding this info to the article, but I do realize that you guys have come to discover it on your own. anyway I'm wrapping this up.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 10:02:56 PM »
Did you miss the bit in chapter 4 where it says:

The major problem with dating in our modern American society is the fallacious belief that a man and woman must find common interests to be compatible. That is absurd, and I wish that I had understood the truth when I was younger; it would have saved me a great deal of time, money, hassle, and heartache. If you want a sound wife or a sound husband, you need to look for common PHILOSOPHY, not common interests.
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments [first education] of the world, and not after Christ.
-Colossians 2:8

Though many people go running the second they hear the word 'philosophy', believing that philosophy is some super-techincal, hard-to-understand concept, in reality, all it means is "a way of thinking." It's very simple. Everyone has a way of thinking, or rather, everyone has a philosophy for everything they say and do, even if they don't realize it, and so philosophy should interest everyone who wants to have wisdom and understanding.
(Emphasis added.)

Do you think Christians and non-Christians would ever have the same philosophy?