Author Topic: Cross on the Cover  (Read 6315 times)

Caleb

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 16
  • Romans 1
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
  • Belief: Christian
Cross on the Cover
« on: May 23, 2019, 06:24:23 PM »
I just managed to find a King James Bible in Walmart and decided to buy it straight away as it was the only one left and I needed one, I never had one to begin with.  I didn't think much of the cross on the cover until my brother, Curtis, pointed it out to me more so.  He claims it to be idolatry.  I have listened to "The Biblical Understanding of Idolatry."  Is it idolatry to have a cross stamped on your King James Bible cover?  I happen to not think so but want to be corrected if I'm wrong.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Cross on the Cover
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »
I did the same thing as you did, needing a KJV and going to walmart and buying one.  The only ones they had were ones with crosses.  I found an older version in my moms house that I now use instead. You could get a cheap one on ebay.

Reed Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 09:04:13 PM »
I just managed to find a King James Bible in Walmart and decided to buy it straight away as it was the only one left and I needed one, I never had one to begin with.  I didn't think much of the cross on the cover until my brother, Curtis, pointed it out to me more so.  He claims it to be idolatry.  I have listened to "The Biblical Understanding of Idolatry."  Is it idolatry to have a cross stamped on your King James Bible cover?  I happen to not think so but want to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Caleb,  Recover it.  All you need is a piece of leather and some contact cement. :)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »
Ha ha!
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Caleb

• CLE Church Members
  • Romans 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:55:21 PM »
Well, I guess that answers the question.  If I can't take it back to Walmart then I'll cover it up with a piece of leather with cement glue.

Caleb

• CLE Church Members
  • Romans 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 10:00:10 PM »
I actually started watching "The Biblical Understanding of Idolatry" again, but I was looking in the wrong place.  Thanks Christopher for the link to the ""Christian" Symbols are Not Christian" teaching.  I can't believe I forgot about that one.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:14:29 PM »
You wouldn't even necessarily have to use leather; you could just use contact paper. Kids here use that kind of stuff to cover school books all the time.

Caleb

• CLE Church Members
  • Romans 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »
Could any of you point out where you get your Bibles, and it wont bother me if I have to order one online.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 11:20:19 PM »
I got my compact street preaching Bible from my friends at Preaching Gear.
Nothing fancy, but the covers are customizable.  8)
You can have up to four words on the front and back covers.
Mine says, "HOLY BIBLE" on the front and "GODS PERFECT WORDS" on the back.

https://preachinggear.org/shop/bibles-mugs-magnets-more/preaching-bibles/preaching-bibles/
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Caleb

• CLE Church Members
  • Romans 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 11:24:16 PM »
Thanks Kenneth, I appreciate this very much.

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 56
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Laura
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 12:17:50 AM »
Hi Caleb,

This is the one I would like to get eventually, although I will admit it is expensive! It is currently out of stock, but they said they will have more sometime in August. I have been searching for one without references, concordances, and red-letter, but with self-pronouncing text. There is probably one out there that has all these things for less, but this one was hard to find and I am happy saving up for it.
https://www.thekjvstore.com/kjv-bibles/text-only/kjv-large-print-text-bible.html

Also, I was going to mention this to Kenneth, but have not had a chance to check it out more deeply - the Dollar Tree has some King James Bibles! They are not printed on the typical Bible paper and the font is tiny, but I thought it might be nice to have some for people to take on the street. I cannot remember if they have the cross symbol though. It is hard for me to spend much time in stores when my daughter is with me. Maybe someone can go check them out and let us know. I will try to remember to do it the next time I am there. They had two different ones at my store - a paperback and a card stock made to look like leather.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 03:59:34 AM »
I think I found mine on eBay. It's a Zondervan large print text only. I don't mind the red letters... except whey they don't line up with the rest of the line!

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »
I have one I can't use anymore because the print is too small that I found at a "christian" bookstore.  It has plan pink and white leather.  You can often find "gift" bibles that don't have a cross symbol on them if you look carefully.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

strangersmind

• CLE Church Members
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 25
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 04:27:12 PM »
Here finding a kjb is very hard. I always use eBay.com  for all my bibles. I still have people who are looking for them

Caleb

• CLE Church Members
  • Romans 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »
Thanks for all your comments.  I do have good news.  Today I took that bible back to my hometown Walmart, not the same Walmart that I got the bible, and got my money back.  I decided to go check the shelves out of curiosity and sure enough, a plan black leather-touch KJB with absolutely no symbolism on it.  Best of all, it was cheaper by four dollars.  Let me tell ya, it was indeed hard to find one online and I was amazed how expensive some of those Bibles were.  Most of which was on the website that Laura had pointed out.  Again, thanks for all your help on getting me straightened out.  I will have to confess something though.  After my brother, Curtis, pointed out the cross symbol I thought about it a bit yesterday night and have realized that I have pointed out that same thing on my oldest brother's bible.  This was awhile back ago, over six months.  I texted Curtis around 9:00 pm to tell him that very thing, I messed up.  I know why I bought the bible, I just don't know why I shrugged off the cross symbol at that time.  It was also stupid of me to try to even defend it.  I guess I needed a good reminder again and I'm glad I have all of you here to correct me.  And again, thanks Christopher for that article.  It reopened memories that I shouldn't have forgotten about.  All I can do in a situation like this is humble myself and do the best not to repeat it.

Laura

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 56
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Laura
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
I am glad you found one, Caleb! It is nice sharing information like this with others. I agree, those Bibles are expensive! I will have to check out the selection of KJBs at my Walmart. Maybe I will find one I like just as much.  :)

Also, it can be hard to unlearn things we have grown up doing or seeing, like the cross symbol. We are all here to help each other learn and grow in our faith and understanding.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:13:55 PM by Laura »

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 11:42:46 PM »
This brings up a question, sort of. My Bible doesn't have any symbols on it but would it matter if you only use that particular Bible for your own use at home and don't take it anywhere? I mean, if that was the only Bible available and you needed one, would a cross on the cover really be that big a deal? I never take my Bible anywhere since I don't go to church and if I want to read on the go, I have several Bible apps on my phone.

strangersmind

• CLE Church Members
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 25
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »
Maybe you can cut it out it is not like you are taking away from the word. Well make sure you look at back side of what you cut out. This reminds me I was going threw the art work of the 1611 and found where there are pagan gods right in the box letter. I also found other things that bring questions.

I have a question, what are the initials at the bottom of the page for?

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »
What initials are you talking about? Where?