Author Topic: Example of 'Railing' in scripture  (Read 2884 times)

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
  • Belief: Christian
Example of 'Railing' in scripture
« on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
In case someone needs any help understanding what 'railing' looks like here is a perfect example from the apostate King Saul:

1 Samuel 20:30 KJV  Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him, Thou son of the perverse rebellious woman, do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion, and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness?
 :-[

When you talk bad about somebody's mama you have definitely crossed a line.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
Re: Example of 'Railing' in scripture
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 09:07:51 AM »
Well what exactly is he saying that is so bad.  Saul mustve been married to Jonathans mother because that is his son as well right?  And God says for the Wife to submit to the husband.  Saul says that she was perverse and rebellious so either she didnt submit herself to Saul and or possibly even God.  Now Saul didnt have very good judgment I suppose because he wanted to kill David but Saul was still the Lords anointed.  But he is saying it in an angry tone just because Jonathan doesnt want Saul to kill David, and not to actually warn him of his mothers wickedness.  so I do see what youre saying. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:10:39 AM by zachshrader »

Reed Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:24:07 AM »
On Saul:  I don't remember where or even when but I heard or read an interesting exposition on Saul once.  Saul was a benjamite I believe.  This exposition posited that Saul might have been partially of the 'giant' blood.  We know he was unusually tall for an Israelite.  Much taller than any of the people.  The benjamites never fully eradicated the giant line from their lot ( land ).  This could have something to do with his descending into ungodliness and evil in his latter days.  I dunno.  It was just an interesting theory.  I'm not sure I am rightly remembering any of this.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:41:31 AM »
Well what exactly is he saying that is so bad.   

Maybe it's just me, but hearing man call someone a "son of a perverse and rebellious woman" sounds quite similar to calling him "a son of a b****".
And when he says, "and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness?", It sounds to me like he' might be calling him a "Mother F'er".

It is probable that my perspective is based on the fact that, in the past as a sailor for 20 years, myself and those around me used this type of vial communication and insults habitually, and also the fact, that has a Street Preacher today, I have these types of insults hurled at me on a regular basis.

When I read this passage, and other others like it, I simply see a man cussing out, or railing at, another person using 1611 terminology.
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
On Saul:  I don't remember where or even when but I heard or read an interesting exposition on Saul once.  Saul was a benjamite I believe.  This exposition posited that Saul might have been partially of the 'giant' blood.  We know he was unusually tall for an Israelite.  Much taller than any of the people.  The benjamites never fully eradicated the giant line from their lot ( land ).  This could have something to do with his descending into ungodliness and evil in his latter days.  I dunno.  It was just an interesting theory.  I'm not sure I am rightly remembering any of this.

Your post is interesting, however this thread is about railing asset is found in Scripture.
No doubt Goliath, the giant, railed at David before David chopped off his head.

strangersmind

• CLE Church Members
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 25
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 12:06:55 PM »
Is railing like when the kids were cross the river calling gods prophet baldy so god sent a she bear to kill them?

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but hearing man call someone a "son of a perverse and rebellious woman" sounds quite similar to calling him "a son of a b****".
And when he says, "and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness?", It sounds to me like he' might be calling him a "Mother F'er".
Okay, I see. I didn't understand what you were saying at first, and that leaves an interesting discussion to be had. I do not believe that's what was happening in 1Sa 20:30. Now certainly, Saul was angry David got away, but the comments he was making were a bit more complex than that, and I'm not sure I can fully explain it off the top of my head, only because the intrigue between these men is something I don't readily study, because I focus myself more on doctrine than politics, but this was more of a political/family matter.

Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him, Thou son of the perverse rebellious woman, do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion, and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness?
-1Sa 20:30

Jonathan was Saul's son, and so that context is key here because if Saul is king, that means Jonathan would in line for the throne. However, Jonathan saw no wrong in David, and tried to reason with his father. Saul got angry and blamed his son's rebelliousness on his mother, as if to say, "You got your rebellious nature from your mother," even though Saul was rebellious against God in hypocrisy.

The "confusion of thy mother's nakedness" is not to be taken that Saul was accusing his own son of having sex with his mother, and that type of language and accusation is not something seen between father and son unless such a deed had actually been done (like how Reuben had sex with Jacob's wife in Genesis; can't imagine how that conversation would have played out, but it doesn't say). Rather, this is prefaced by Saul saying "thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion," which is key because Saul's referring to the fact that Jonathan is choosing another man's son as the heir to the throne, and thus, Saul is trying to tug at his son's heart strings by abusing his love for his mother, trying to explain to him that people will begin to talk, and suspect that Saul's wife had committed adultery in an affair and that Jonathan was a bastard child, not a true son of Saul.

It was the political view of the public, which would begin a rumor about Jonathan's mother's infidelity, which he feared would be started because Jonathan was not supportive of Saul's throne by helping and protecting David.

Does that help clear up the confusion on this? I don't think this was just a simple matter of railing by calling someone an MF bomb.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »
Okay, I see. I didn't understand what you were saying at first, and that leaves an interesting discussion to be had. I do not believe that's what was happening in 1Sa 20:30. Now certainly, Saul was angry David got away, but the comments he was making were a bit more complex than that, and I'm not sure I can fully explain it off the top of my head, only because the intrigue between these men is something I don't readily study, because I focus myself more on doctrine than politics, but this was more of a political/family matter.

Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him, Thou son of the perverse rebellious woman, do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion, and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness?
-1Sa 20:30

Jonathan was Saul's son, and so that context is key here because if Saul is king, that means Jonathan would in line for the throne. However, Jonathan saw no wrong in David, and tried to reason with his father. Saul got angry and blamed his son's rebelliousness on his mother, as if to say, "You got your rebellious nature from your mother," even though Saul was rebellious against God in hypocrisy.

The "confusion of thy mother's nakedness" is not to be taken that Saul was accusing his own son of having sex with his mother, and that type of language and accusation is not something seen between father and son unless such a deed had actually been done (like how Reuben had sex with Jacob's wife in Genesis; can't imagine how that conversation would have played out, but it doesn't say). Rather, this is prefaced by Saul saying "thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion," which is key because Saul's referring to the fact that Jonathan is choosing another man's son as the heir to the throne, and thus, Saul is trying to tug at his son's heart strings by abusing his love for his mother, trying to explain to him that people will begin to talk, and suspect that Saul's wife had committed adultery in an affair and that Jonathan was a bastard child, not a true son of Saul.

It was the political view of the public, which would begin a rumor about Jonathan's mother's infidelity, which he feared would be started because Jonathan was not supportive of Saul's throne by helping and protecting David.

Does that help clear up the confusion on this? I don't think this was just a simple matter of railing by calling someone an MF bomb.

I knew there had to be more to it than what I was thinking. Chris, I actually was laughing at myself as I was reading your post. Sometimes my own dullness of mind catches me by surprise.

Proverbs 27:17 KJV  Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 02:02:56 PM »
Is railing like when the kids were cross the river calling gods prophet baldy so god sent a she bear to kill them?

I think that was simply mocking. Which obviously turned out bad for them.

If they had been calling him something like a dirty old man and all kinds of other terrible accusations that may have been railing.

strangersmind

• CLE Church Members
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 25
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 02:38:11 PM »
So mocking is the same as name calling?