• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
Vipers
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:13:02 PM »
It is interesting that both John the Baptist and Jesus referred to the generation of that time as vipers.

John the Baptist
Matthew 3 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judea, and all the region round about Jordan, 6 and were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Jesus
Matthew 23 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, 30 and say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. 32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. 33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

As we know as Christians, it is not right to call people by derogatory names as it is a form of railing, but we read here where both John the Baptist and Jesus are referring to the scribes and pharisees and vipers and serpents. 

Q.  How come this isn't a forbidden form of railing?

Vipers are only one of the classes of snakes that lives in Israel.  Those hearing the words that were spoken would have likely had a much more in depth understanding of what was being said.  So what is the defining characteristics of vipers versus the other snakes?

Viperidae
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viperidae

... All have relatively long, hinged fangs that permit deep penetration and injection of snake venom. ...

... Each of the two fangs is at the front of the mouth on a short maxillary bone that can rotate back and forth. When not in use, the fangs fold back against the roof of the mouth ...

... This rotating mechanism allows for very long fangs to be contained in a relatively small mouth. ...

... they may give a dry bite (not inject any venom). A dry bite allows the snake to conserve its precious reserve of venom ...    ... In addition to being able to deliver dry bites, vipers can inject larger quantities of venom into larger prey targets, and smaller amounts into small prey. ...

On vipers the fangs are hidden from sight being folded back inside the mouth and are only brought to bear when the snakes wants to attack.  Hence it always seems to me that John the Baptist and Jesus were just giving an accurate description of the nature of the scribes the pharisees and the sadducees rather than railing against them. 

The same goes on in the "churches" today where if you're not friends with the "pastors" and the others that run the show then the fangs come out.  Around their friends their fangs are folded back and hidden inside their mouths but they are soon brought out and ready to strike with venom if they are challenged about false doctrines etc.

Vipers!!
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 447
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Vipers
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Reed Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »
Off the top of my head there is a distinction here.  Railers rail all the time.  Extremely vociferous condemnation of those they target is their main method of disagreement with those they target.  However once in a while,  in extreme circumstances,  one in authority just has to speak the truth blatantly and plainly when dealing with truly evil persons.  And it may be in most circumstances the accusation is for the benefit of others, not so much to change the mind of the individual (s) being addressed.

Kenneth Winslow

• CLE Church Members
  • Veteran (Forum LVL 6)
  • Edification: 133
    • View Profile
    • Teach All Nations
  • First Name: Kenneth
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 12:48:15 PM »
Nehemiah 8:8 KJV — So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 447
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
No, I've had that on there for years.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 07:02:10 PM »
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Nate

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: -13
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Nathan
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 03:42:06 PM »
Thank you for posting this. I have always struggled with passages such as these, because (and NO, I do NOT believe the Bible contradicts itself) there are plenty of verses that tell us not to be railers and such. And yet, ALL through the Bible, God just blasts and rebukes Israel with the harshest statements I have ever read! That's what I've always found funny about Christians who complain about other Christians being negative lol. It's like, have you actually read the Bible at all? Actually, THAT'S THE PROBLEM, today's so called Christians DON'T read it at all. That's why I won't even waste time with a man who doesn't argue from scripture. And one of the things I hate the most is when you quote scripture to a person and they just ignore it. At that point, they've disrespected the word of God and there is no point in wasting any more time with them. Good post!

Suelong88

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
Nate, I agree.  I've often quoted scripture to people and a lot of times they come back with "well, that's not what it means to me".  Mostly because they use new age versions too.  I try to show them the difference, but they just can't/won't see it.

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 06:18:01 PM »
they come back with "well, that's not what it means to me"

My comeback would be: 'It's not about what it means to you; what matters is what it means to God and if you don't care about that, then you can't claim to love Him or serve Him.'