Author Topic: Taking Food When Necessary  (Read 249 times)

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 37
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christianity
Taking Food When Necessary
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:42:49 AM »
The discussion came up on the Sunday Google Hangouts session as to whether it was lawful to take food when necessary and I mentioned about the eating of the showbread that was unlawful to be done but God looked on it favourably to the point that Jesus even used the event as a part of the teaching in His ministry.

Mark 2 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
23 And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. 24 And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful? 25 And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him? 26 How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him? 27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28 therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

1 Samuel 21 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
3 Now therefore what is under thine hand? give me five loaves of bread in mine hand, or what there is present. 4 And the priest answered David, and said, There is no common bread under mine hand, but there is hallowed bread; if the young men have kept themselves at least from women. 5 And David answered the priest, and said unto him, Of a truth women have been kept from us about these three days, since I came out, and the vessels of the young men are holy, and the bread is in a manner common, yea, though it were sanctified this day in the vessel. 6 So the priest gave him hallowed bread: for there was no bread there but the shewbread, that was taken from before the Lord, to put hot bread in the day when it was taken away.

Actually it is interesting that as they were walking through the cornfields and the disciples were plucking the ears of corn it seems as if it wasn't just the gleanings (but it might have been) and it is also more than likely none of the corn crops belonged to the disciples or their families.  Were the disciples technically stealing the crops of a farmer?  I wonder if it is in the same sort of category as take the young colt as the Lord has need of it.

Matthew 21 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
1 And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples, 2 saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me. 3 And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them.
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline culture shock

• (LVL0) Newly Registered
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: billy
Re: Taking Food When Necessary
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:51:33 AM »
it is not steeling because remember in old testament god said do not harvest every part  of field leave it for the poor or traveler. so it may not be steeling it may be what was left for others to take. 

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:14:33 AM »
Hence as outlined below why is was alright with Jesus that as they were passing through the cornfields and the disciples were plucking the ears of corn and it was not considered as stealing the crops of a farmer.  That would also mean that the poor could eat every day with impunity and at the end of the harvest that was the time they could bring vessels along and reap a harvest of the gleanings to take away with them which was not permitted at any other time.

Deuteronomy 23 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
24 When thou comest into thy neighbour’s vineyard, then thou mayest eat grapes thy fill at thine own pleasure; but thou shalt not put any in thy vessel. 25 When thou comest into the standing corn of thy neighbour, then thou mayest pluck the ears with thine hand; but thou shalt not move a sickle unto thy neighbour’s standing corn.

Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 36
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
The Pharisees didn't have a problem with the disciples eating corn from someone else's field. What they got all bent out of shape about was that they were doing it on the Sabbath. I guess people weren't supposed to get hungry on that day...

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
Yes I know about the sabbath etc.  The interesting aspect with the crops that are open for everyone to come and have their fill of your produce was maybe also that it was limited to the grapes and the 'corn'. 

What they call 'corn' is what we typically call wheat and barley today.  I don't know if you have corned beef in the countries you people live in.  At a young age I asked my parents where the 'corn' came in and they didn't know.  The 'corn' is the chunks of salt that are about the same size as wheat kernels that they use for pickling the beef and anything that size was known as 'corn'.  Pickled beef is a way better term than "corned beef".

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »
Ooops, in my last two posts I completely forgot to quote the original discussion that I was replying to.  Sorry about that.