Author Topic: Christianity's 'Own War On Christmas'  (Read 267 times)

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 36
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Christianity
Christianity's 'Own War On Christmas'
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
Joshua Babbitt told me about this article and I just had to post it here.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/christianitys-own-war-on-christmas/

An excerpt from the article states:

Freelance fundamentalist Christopher J.E. Johnson of Creation Liberty Evangelism echoes the old complaint that Christmas is fundamentally pagan: “God hates paganism and he hates idols and he hates the concept of false Gods, and that’s what Christmas actually represents.” He preaches that “one of the big problems in Christianity today is the DENIAL of the pagan origins of their traditions, or in other words, they lie to themselves (and to others) in order to keep from knowing the truth, and thereby preventing themselves from receiving conviction from the Holy Spirit that would force them to give up their fleshly lusts. To understand the abomination of Christmas being brought into the Church of Jesus Christ, we need to understand its origin.”

Of course, the author doesn't agree with you, Chris, but at least she quoted you! LOL

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL7) Veteran
  • Edification: 43
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Christianity's 'Own War On Christmas'
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
I find it interesting that the only times she used the word "conviction," she was quoting someone else.

I checked out the author a bit, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I got is that she's a former Catholic turned atheist. She claims she was formerly "evangelical," so perhaps she went from Catholicism to Protestant to Atheist?

Am I wrong to say she's trying to, as an atheist, defend the traditions of Christmas? Unless maybe I got it wrong and she's a pagan? I didn't see pagan influence in her writing though. There's a lot of stuff in her beliefs that are really contradictory, so... I'm going to get back to work.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:38:05 PM by creationliberty »
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL7) Veteran
  • Edification: 43
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Christianity's 'Own War On Christmas'
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »
Oh, and it's interesting she didn't give a link to what she quoted. Have you guys noticed that people typically only do that when they disagree with me? (i.e. they don't want anyone to go back and read the whole thing) However, someone internet savvy knows they can copy/paste the quote into a search engine and find it.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings