Author Topic: 2 Thessalonians 2 - What is the meaning of he that lets?  (Read 5902 times)

Chris

2 Thessalonians 2 - What is the meaning of he that lets?
« on: February 02, 2019, 10:12:35 PM »
2 Thessalonians 2:3,7-8 KJV

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come , except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; [7] For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let , until he be taken out of the way. [8] And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

I've seen verse three in a couple of Christopher's teachings, and agree with his teachings on end times and revivalism.  It seems that verses 7 and 8 are a restatement of verse 3.  If so, these verses should allow us to have a further understanding.  I know that let can mean either to allow or to hinder and am confused what the meaning is.

I would appreciate it if anyone that has understanding share the meaning.

Wynand

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Wynand
  • Belief: Other
Re: 2 Thessalonians 2 - What is the meaning of he that lets?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 04:48:18 AM »
Hi Chris it means to hinder or restrain.

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:44:32 AM »
I would have to do a little more study on this to be sure, but I THINK it's talking about the Holy Spirit. He is the one Who keeps evil at bay for now, but there will come a time when He will be removed and evil will then be unrestrained. You think things are bad now, just wait a while...

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 07:52:30 AM »
To be clear, Chris wasn't asking for a definition of let; he already understands it. He was asking for understanding of the verses. I have no other understanding than to say that is talking about antichrist, or the spirit of antichrist, which is a seat of power, is already working, even from the time of Paul. The definition of "he" is probably more important, as it would be taken that either "he" (i.e. God) who is allowing this to happen will continue to allow it to happen until the final antichrist (1Jo 2:18) is removed, or to say that "he" (i.e. antichrist) will continue to hinder those of Christ until he's taken out of his seat, and at that point, the capital 'W' Wicked (i.e. Satan) will be revealed. The point is the definition of "he" might be the determining factor for which definition of let is used.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Wynand

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »
Sorry I misunderstood. My understanding is that it is antichrist that must be removed. So he hinders or let till he be taken out of the way (recieving a deadly wound) then will that wicked be revealed. The pronoun "he" in verse 7's antecedent must be "the son of perdition". Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Blessings

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »
Okay, here is the full passage:

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? 6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. 7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. 8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9 even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 and with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

The way I understand this is that God is the 'he' in verse 7 because it's when He is taken out of the way that the Wicked will be revealed. The Holy Spirit is currently preventing the final antichrist from assuming dominion.

Wynand

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 02:24:25 PM »
I dont think God can be taken out of the way. He is everywhere.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 06:03:44 PM »
No, God cannot be taken out of the way, but He can remove the restraint of the Holy Spirit.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 12:21:29 AM »
Okay, here is the full passage:

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? 6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. 7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. 8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9 even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 and with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

The way I understand this is that God is the 'he' in verse 7 because it's when He is taken out of the way that the Wicked will be revealed. The Holy Spirit is currently preventing the final antichrist from assuming dominion.

In Revelation there where it says "to overcome them", I take that as to mean to put them to death.  Hence the great falling away when people are given the choice of renouncing Christ and worshipping the Antichrist or being executed.

Revelation 13 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months. 6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven. 7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. 8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The only Christians still alive might be those of the woman who is protected in the wilderness while all of this is going on. 

Revelation 12 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child. 14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent. 15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood. 16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth. 17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

The two witnesses were executed along the way too so they are no longer standing in the world against the Antichrist.

Revelation 11 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth. 5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. 6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will. 7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

So in the end there are no Christians (those filled with the Holy Spirit) who are left in regular society to oppose the Antichrist and teach teachings other than his.  Effectively the Holy Spirit has been removed out of the way and the Antichrist then has total free reign.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Chris

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I originally thought that he that lets would somehow refer to/clarify the meaning of falling away.  After reading Chris, Kevin and Jeanne's responses, it makes sense that he that lets is the Holy Spirit restraining the rise of the devil, but I am still what I would call a novice and do not completely understand.

At first I thought I was asking a simple question, but I now understand that it will require a further understanding of end times.

Mat Taos

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: -2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Michael
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »
I'm sorry, to say 'the restrainer' is the Holy Spirit is not correct. I wrote something on this subject to help people. I've trying to post several of my writings but this system doesn't allow me to paste/post them. Please bare with me, hear me out.

Many teach 'the restrainer' of 2 Thessalonians chapter 2 to be the Holy Spirit, the Church, God, Archangel Michael or even the Roman government but none of these are correct. But before we identify this restrainer, let us first determine that which the restrainer is holding back. We need to look at 'certain facts' we know about the restrainer that the participle has no compliment; that is, no direct object to receive the action of the participle. The direct object is implied rather than explicitly stated. So we must supply that direct object. Nearly all of the popular solutions to the problem of the restrainer

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »
Mike, we've told you before about the problem this forum software has with apostrophes. If you want to paste something here, you have to go back and manually replace all apostrophes in the post box before you hit the post button.

Now you yourself said that you've only been truly saved for about 2 years now and you're going to come in here and try to tell us that you know everything about what the Bible says about end times? You're teaching things that have NO Scriptural basis and claiming knowledge that no one else seems to have. I don't know where you got all this stuff you're spouting but if you keep it up, you're going to find yourself on the banned list, too.

Be careful how you proceed!

Mat Taos

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 05:12:04 PM »
Mike, we've told you before about the problem this forum software has with apostrophes. If you want to paste something here, you have to go back and manually replace all apostrophes in the post box before you hit the post button.

Now you yourself said that you've only been truly saved for about 2 years now and you're going to come in here and try to tell us that you know everything about what the Bible says about end times? You're teaching things that have NO Scriptural basis and claiming knowledge that no one else seems to have. I don't know where you got all this stuff you're spouting but if you keep it up, you're going to find yourself on the banned list, too.

Be careful how you proceed!
"try to tell us that you know everything about what the Bible says about end times?" I never tried to do this that you are claiming?
If anyone hasn't told you, I will. I don't know if this is your normal routine but you've got a bad habit of putting words in my mouth, so to speak. And you have a called me a liar on another post.
I forgive you if that helps you, truly I do. I came here to be able to witness better. I do know some things and I like to share what I know. Sorry if these truths offend you. I'll stop posting on your site, I didn't come here to cause anger and division. I can listen to Chris's youtube videos just the same.
I'll leave you with this truth- The first seal (Revelation 6), its already been opened, I can see it clear as day. The second seal, it will be opened soon enough. the 70th week will begin when DJT confirms the covenant with many, this is his "deal of the century" he's worked on almost 40 years.
You don't want to believe he's the antichrist, I get that, I didn't either, especially considering I voted for him. I'm somewhat amazed that I can see these things so easily but others, well, can't. trump matches every single biblical description of the beast. He's Assyrian and Roman. trump's "the restrainer" 

Joop

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joop
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 04:09:23 AM »
I'm somewhat amazed that I can see these things so easily but others, well, can't.
That's, off course, you are special  8), and the others aren't. :-[

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »
I'm somewhat amazed that I can see these things so easily but others, well, can't.
The Biblical Understanding of Pride
Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
-1Co 10:12
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Mat Taos

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
The Wynand guy you banned, he understands this chapter, you don't. 2 Thessalonians 2:6 is about Jesus. 2:7 is about the antichrist. To say the antichrist is the Holy Spirit is complete blasphemy. If you don't see what Paul was making clear in this chapter then I highly advise you simply say you are unsure of who "the restrainer" is.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 02:39:39 PM »
The Wynand guy you banned, he understands this chapter, you don't. 2 Thessalonians 2:6 is about Jesus. 2:7 is about the antichrist. To say the antichrist is the Holy Spirit is complete blasphemy. If you don't see what Paul was making clear in this chapter then I highly advise you simply say you are unsure of who "the restrainer" is.
The reason Wynand was banned was because he falsely accused us of being a part of a religion that we are not a part of, and he did so because he publically denied that Jesus is God. Your first statement, "The Wynand guy you banned" is an obvious effort on your part to falsely accuse us (in a murmuring way) of banning people who understand the truth. Perhaps you should actually investigate a matter before you speak about it so you don't embarrass yourself.

You were banned for teaching false prophecies (i.e. that Trump is the final antichrist) without any Scriptural backing for your claims, while arrogantly claiming in the pride of your heart that you understand of all these things and everyone else can't, and then also lying, and being unrepentant of both. You are exhibiting the exact same qualities I've seen in just about every cult leader I've ever witnessed. If you come to repentance (i.e. grief and godly sorrow) of your sin, you're welcome to come back, but until then, please depart in peace.

Btw folks, after reading Michael's rants, I've now heard prophecies that each of the past three U.S. presidents we have had are the "final antichrist." What's more amazing is that I've never had anyone come back to me and apologize in repentance for teaching false prophecies.