Author Topic: Popular music  (Read 304 times)

Offline rosecat2904

• (LVL0) Newly Registered
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Rose
  • Belief: Other
Popular music
« on: June 22, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
So. Do you think it would be ok to listen to modern songs, say in the pop genre if they didn't have explicit language or content? Silly question I know but I'd like some opinions.

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 36
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Christianity
Re: Popular music
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:09:52 PM »
Hi Rose. Since you've identified your religious beliefs as 'other', I'm assuming you're not a Christian. Jesus said:

John 14:6 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The Bible also says:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 not of works, lest any man should boast.

So, without Christ, it really doesn't matter what you do or don't do since you're on your way to hell either way. I'm not saying that to be mean or hateful; that's just the way it is according to the Bible.

Offline Ben

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Ben
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »
What Jeanne said is correct. But I would like to add some thoughts on your question.

There was a time when I wondered the same thing about certain lusts including but not limited to music. Through the Grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I was shown the truth about music. Most music has a way of tinkering with your emotional states and literally programming a philosophy of thought to various degrees. Most people run on what I call "Auto Pilot", meaning their minds are absorbing things they are completely unaware of. Believe it or not, music can shape your thought process and even alter your decision patterns to sin.

For you to ask is to try and use others to justify yourself. I know, I've been guilty of that on different topics through out my life. Deep down I knew there was a problem with different habits of mine including music. But I just didn't want to face the truth and acknowledge it.

Luke 16:15

“And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.”

Since I don't know every song and every music genre, I'll say it like this. Keep in mind that those who love the world are an enemy to Christ. I'm not saying you're going to hell for listening to music, I'm saying this for you to keep in mind. If you're not born again, the hell is where you're going.

1 John 2:15-17King James Version (KJV)

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Also something to ponder. One either has a love of the truth or they don't. There is no in-between except being Luke warm and moral relativism. If you don't have a love of the truth, it can never properly be explained to you, you have to see it for yourself.
Jeremiah 17:9 King James Version (KJV)
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

I SURE DON'T!

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
The Bible has quite a few reverences to music. David especially played harp very well, but also sang and danced. The Bible also talks about angels singing. This, tough, is all music that glorifies God.
 PSALM 150   1, ¶ Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
    2, Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
    3, Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
    4, Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
    5, Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
    6, Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

I think what the problem with all the modern music is it does not bring glory to God.
Chris wrote a good article about rock: http://creationliberty.com/articles/music.php
I have heard preachers preach against all the modern music, because it has rythym, and their train of thought was that lucifer was the angel who was musically very gifted, therefor he uses rythim in the modern music to get people to sin. If you let a baby listen to a song with a strong beat, it will automatically move its body to the rythym. Therfore music has effect on our flesh!
Like Ben said, music alteres your mind and emotions, it influences us, everyone knows that from experience.
I used to love dancing, and I grew up with popmusic and was a young (lost) adult in the age where electronical house music was discovered. I've seen a lot of craziness/wickedness under the influence of music in clubs, parties and raves.

I think worldy music should be avoided. When I accidently turn on the radio in my car and hear something on worldly radio it propagates sex, drugs, fornication, covoutessness, or something else wicked. So called : 'Christian' music should be strongly filtered, many of it is not any different from the worldly music. The music should never overshadow the message, and it needs to bring glory to God. Not to the singer, not to the musician, not to the hearer.
To God.