Author Topic: Sabbath Day  (Read 370 times)

Offline Matt

• (LVL0) Newly Registered
  • Edification: 2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Matt
  • Belief: Christianity
Sabbath Day
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
 Matthew 5:18      
    For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

I had a family member, who believes we should keep the Sabbath, what it means by " till heaven and earth pass"
I couldn't give an answer. Wondered if any of ya'll could help me with this.

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 36
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
Re: Sabbath Day
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 02:25:32 PM »
Have you read the article Chris wrote on observing the Sabbath?

http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/sabbath.php

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 37
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:59:06 PM »
Numbers 10 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
8 And the sons of Aaron, the priests, shall blow with the trumpets; and they shall be to you for an ordinance for ever throughout your generations.

As a Christian I should start doing this   .....   just to keep the neighbours happy.

A search in the Old Testamant for "ordinance" brings up all of the things they were to do.  One ordinance was of course the passover lamb and not one bone to be broken etc etc, and we know this was fulfilled in Christ.  A good discussion to be had with those who claim that we should still observe the Sabbath.  How many of the other ordinances do they also keep?  They start going rather quiet around this stage.
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline Matt

• Edification: 2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Matt
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 01:29:41 AM »
Jeanne,

yep several times. Chris did a good job of putting that article together.
As a child, I remember it was hard to take those around me (that believed
you should keep the Sabbath) serious when it came in second to what their
job may have required, such as working on Saturday.

Lol Kevin. I would definitely try that with my neighbor (my sister) if I had a trumpet.
You've given me something to look into. Thanks

I think back to bible studies I listened to in my family and how there were those
who seen the ten commandments as different from law's given by God. It's been
several years so I vaguely remember my Dad discussing with me briefly how
he could never justify the reasoning of keeping the Sabbath unless you were going
to keep every other law written in scripture.

I'm sure I'll have more questions for ya'll on this topic.

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
  • Edification: 5
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
Hi there Matt,
 Matthew 5:18     
    For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 
the verse right before says:
Mat 5: 17, ΒΆ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

My input:The Bible is the law. It's not just the ten commandments.
Untill Jesus comes back, nothing of the Scriptures shall change. Not even the smallest part (jot=shortest letter in the Hebrew alphabet).

And Ive searched some scriptures that explain how things changed when Jesus died on the cross.
Mat 3: 14, But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
    15, And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Joh 19:30When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Rom 10:    4, For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Gal3:  24, Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. (not by keeping the law)

Rom8: 4, That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Gal 4: 4, But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
    5, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

In the past I also tried to keep the Sabbath. Then I learned that it is quite impossible and also no longer neccesary. There are a lot of verses that explain that, but this ones are probably the strongest ones:
  JAmes 2: 10, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

EPH 2:     8, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9, Not of works, lest any man should boast.

So, nobody is able to keep the whole law therefor we are all quilty before God and working to keep the Sabbath does not save us.
Jesus is the only one that saves us! HE said: I am the way, the truth and the life! NO MAN cometh to the Father but by ME!

Offline culture shock

• Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: billy
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 02:06:04 AM »
I thing if some one wants to keep the 4th commandment we should encourage them on because they are putting in extra credit.  as long as they know Christ is the center of all.  I once went to a church and told them I decided for now on to keep the Sabbath.  it was as if i committed a sin lol.  took a long time to get them to understand i just wanted to because i love god and just wanted to.  but it seem they had to let me know why it was ok not to.  but i think we should cheer them on for wanting to.

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
  • Edification: 5
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:52:44 AM »
I think cheering them on is sharing into their deceit. You dont get extra points for keeping the sabbath, nor tithing, nor doing charity, not anything. that is the whole point. Nothing you do can make anything happen, just what JESUS did matters.
It is hard for people to realise that there is NONE GOOD , no NOT ONE!! including the devoted people who want to do all kinds of things to gain more points...
I have known basically all the cults, religions, filosofies out there and what makes Christianity unique is that you do not need to do anything, but believe that JESUS did it FOR YOU.
That is why Christ is the only way!!

It ok to try to do good, but it is wrong to believe you are able to be good. You are not. Without Christ we can do NOTHING!!
That is what our Lord said, and that is true.
  Joh 15:5, I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me,1 and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Offline culture shock

• Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: billy
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »
yes I agree maybe I said it wrong but what I met is if some one wants to keep it we should just let them. but it is only Christ who should be the center. the rest is to try to be children of god