Author Topic: Revelation 20  (Read 3241 times)

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Revelation 20
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »
Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8 and shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

This has bothered me for quite some time. The people living and reigning with Christ are 'the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands' and the Bible tells us that in the resurrection people neither marry or are given in marriage, so where do all these nations come from who are going to be deceived when Satan is loosed from the pit?

Revelation also tells us that 'the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished.' Are they going to be deceived all over again after they're resurrected? Don't those who take part in the second resurrection go straight to the great white throne judgement?

Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 19 describes the war:

Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. 12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God; 18 that ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great. 19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. 21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

I have always been under the impression that everyone left on earth who was not of Christ would be killed at this time. Is it possible there could be some survivors, maybe people who did not fight in the war, who could then repopulate the earth during the millennial kingdom?

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Revelation 20
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:16:37 PM »
...  so where do all these nations come from who are going to be deceived when Satan is loosed from the pit?

The children who at the time of Christ's return have not yet reached the age of accountability?

And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 12:39:57 PM »
The first resurrection happened when Jesus was on the cross. You find in the gospel that when Jesus said it was finished the ground shook and the Graves were open of the saints and they walk into the city to be seen by all men. We also forgot jesus said when ask when will this things come to pass and he answered shortly in your generation. So some things had to come to pass already in revelation

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 01:36:28 PM »
Read that passage again, Billy:

Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 03:11:27 PM »
Ok I read it few times. I don't know much about revelation, but the first resurrection is when the Graves open up and the saints came alive and walk around. It also don't say how long they were walking around. What I think it is saying is them who came out of the Grave when Jesus open them up when he was on cross it is them who this is talking about and we will be taken on final judgment.

Now that I just said that and re reading it, it sounds like pre trib. What I am trying to say is the first resurrection might be them who cane out of grave when Jesus was on cross

Wait a minute, that would mean John the Baptist would be back walking around, so could he be the one who wrote revelation?

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
No, John the Baptist was NOT the author of Revelation. And all the people who were resurrected when Jesus was crucified just died again later, as did Lazarus.

This passage is referring to all the saints who will be resurrected when Jesus back. This is not pre-trib. Jesus WILL be returning to the earth at some point.

1 Thessalonians 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 01:04:55 PM »
When will they die? Like live tell they are old or killed as it is with us now? Or maybe there is more to it but it is just hard for us to rap are minds around. I don't know it is all a mystery to me

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:26:58 PM »
When will who die? The people whom Jesus resurrected during His ministry and the ones who came back to life when He was crucified? Yes, they either died of old age or were killed in some other way. Only their earthly bodies were resurrected. Those who are resurrected when Jesus returns will have incorruptible bodies like the body Jesus had after His resurrection.

Luke 20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 but they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

Jesus was the first (and is so far the ONLY) person to be raised from the dead and not die again.

Colossians 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.