Author Topic: "Experts Agree: Sugar highs do not exist!"  (Read 4497 times)

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
  • Belief: Christian
"Experts Agree: Sugar highs do not exist!"
« on: February 11, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/feb/25/do-children-really-get-sugar-rush-hyperactivity
According to mainstream "scientists", sugar highs are nothing more than myths made by people who have children that hyperactive all the time. So what do you guys think? I know this is nothing more than scam being created by the mainstream.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
Re: "Experts Agree: Sugar highs do not exist!"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:33:12 PM »
This is just my opinion.  I can't back it up.

I think that is very untrue.  Anyone who has ever seen a child after they eat sugar would likely agree with me.  I have spoken with other adults that say that they have trouble concentrating or even doing physical work after eating sugar.  Again, I can only back that up with retelling of what I have seen and experienced.

More biblically, I believe the Word says we are supposed to take care of our bodies because it is the temple of the Holy Spirit.  White, processed sugar is harmful to the body.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »
You know what I find fascinating, I too seen kids go off the wall from eating sugar, but here you just don't see it they behave the same as before they eat it. Here they put sugar in almost everything. We have sugar growing in are yard and once ripe they sit around chewing on it. What I think is going on with the kids in America when it comes to sugar is the thought of suggestion. (I may be calling it by wrong name). It is where the kids always hear that sugar makes you  go hyper, so when they eat candy they go hyper. But when they eat oo let's say pop tart in morning they tend to be normal. Even tho they have same amount sugar. I may be wrong but my hole life as a kid I have Ben denied candy and sweets because they don't want me on a sugar high. This may be why kids behavior change when eaten sweets just because of hearing it is 2hat it will do. I hope you understand what I am trying to say

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 11:13:47 PM »
Eating raw sugar cane is much different from eating white sugar. Sugar crystals are so highly processed with chemicals and stuff that very little of the original plant remains. It's processed sugar that is so harmful, though eating too much sugar cane is probably not very good for you, either.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 12:01:35 AM »
I remember not long after I joined the forum a few years back and I mentioned about machining the bearings and the rollers for a sugar rolling mill in Fiji.  Until I worked on that job I had no idea how sugar was made.  They just roll the sugar cane and sqeeze out the juice and then crystallize it.  There are usually no additives.  (I didn't get a trip to Fiji to install the rolling mill either, but some of the other guys did).

When "anti caking" and "free flowing" agents are added to some powders they typically use corn starch or potato starch.  The starch always comes from corn or potatoes and not "wheaten cornflour" so it doesn't affect those with coeliac disease.  In the cheese industry they stop grated cheese from clumping together with fine silica powder (yep   .....  sand).  The sand is so fine that it doesn't give a gritty feel in the mouth.

Jeanne is right though, it's processed sugar that is so harmful because it is so concentrated.  Eating sugar cane is bad for your teeth too, just as sugar is.  The other major cause of tooth decay is   ......   potato chips (potato crisps).  How come?  The starch cakes on to the teeth and is acted on by alpha amylase (sugar degrading enzyme) in the saliva and breaks the starch down to simple sugars which are used by bacteria and the bacteria produce acids that attack the enamel of the teeth.

With regards to the sugar highs, I saw a research documentary on TV years ago and they invited kids to a party and provided only food that was low in sugar but lots of activity and fun for the kids.  When the parents picked the kids up they were given a questionaire to answer and parents just knew their kids were hyped up on sugar and artificial colourings   .....  but they weren't.  They were just hyped up from being together and eating food and having low sugar drinks and playing games and having fun.  The parents were surprised when they were shown how little sugar the kids had eaten and they weren't told any of the details of the experiment beforehand.  They were told it was a study  ...   but they didn't know what.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
The main sugar they take is prosses. Here they make their sugar with no additives. I am glad you brought the study up Kevin, I too seen few experiment with kids and there parents with sugar. It seems to be same story, you tell the kids they are sugar high and they are going to be bounce off the walls and give them back to parents. No sugar given they are off the walls.

Masha

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 05:07:27 PM »
I would like to put in my 2 cents. I believe you can easily find in scientific and medical research what sugar does to the human body. The mass consumption of sugar causes tons of problems, and children becoming 'hyper' is just one.
Sugar is like a drug, and works like a drug. It gives you a rush, and in children that might manifests in activity. I do think that other factors play a role in the fact that many children get diagnosed with adhd etc. F.e. it also has a lot to do with a sedetarian life, where they need to sit at school,. sit in front of tv, sit to play videogames, etc. And in case of placebo-effect, ...children are normally very active. So where do we draw a line and say a child is over-active? When do we say children are off the wall??
Some children just need to run around a lot every day:-)....

We have lived sugar-free for some time. And now we eat sugar. I try to watch the amount and do most cooking from scratch.  I have seen my children react to high doses of sugar. It is obvious it has effect on them.

A sidenote; visiting america some years ago, I always read labels and noticed in almost all products the high fructose corn syrup. It is not like that in Europe, eventhough we consume a lot of sugar also. It made me realise that the sugar-issue is one of many where :
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The many sorrows sugar brings is not just hyperactivity, but also heart failure, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. All of that is treated by the pharmaceutical industry and is making people a lot of money. Even for hyperactive children they have created pharmaceutical products,...
And all the people who benefit from all those people who need to loose weight, ... Count it all up.

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:46:58 PM »
Corn syrup and sugar from sugar cane are not the same. In America they also have artificial sugar. I do not know what the difference is in sugar cane and artificial sugar. This could be a big factor as well. We were comparing schools from America and the Philippines and it made me feel so ashamed to even be called an American.

There could be many factors then sugar that makes the big difference from children behavior in America and philppines. Here if you were to watch TV you won't find any of the shown you can find in America. They have laws that makes the tv company to block them here. Not saying watching TV here should be done. But you won't find school shooting or big crime in the school here. In fact they have moral classes and how to behave classes

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 05:26:05 PM »
There is about the same spike in blood glucose levels from eating rice or mashed potato as there is from drinking sugery drinks.  It is interesting that you never hear or read of children being "hyper" after eating mashed potato or rice even though these foods will raise their blood glucose level to that of the usual carbonated and other drinks.

This is something that diabetics are all too aware of and the high consumption of rice in China is likely the cause of their high rates of Type 2 diabetes.

Is White Rice Responsible for the Diabetes Spike in China?
https://www.care2.com/greenliving/is-white-rice-responsible-for-the-diabetes-spike-in-china.html

... Diabetes rates in China are at about 10 percent, the U.S. is at about 11 percent, despite seven times less obesity in China. ...

As an interesting side note, I took part in rice studies with the Department of Human Nutrition here at the University of Otago.  One of those who signed up as a volunteer for the study didn't know he was Type 2 diabetic until the study began and eating a portion of rice immediately alerted the researchers to notify him that he was off the study and needed to see his doctor.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:50:52 PM »
Is this spike in diabetes in China recent? Rice has been a staple of the Chinese diet for centuries so what else has changed to cause this?

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 10:34:58 PM »
Is this spike in diabetes in China recent? Rice has been a staple of the Chinese diet for centuries so what else has changed to cause this?

Hi Jeanne

A typical website commenting about China's recent problem with Type 2 Diabetes.

The looming public health crises threatening to take down China's health care system
https://qz.com/756585/diabetes-is-chinas-next-public-health-crises/

... In the 1980s diabetes was a rarity affecting just one percent of China's population. Now, due to rapid economic development, and the subsequent growth in availability of high-calorie diets, cars and sedentary lifestyles, China has the highest number of diabetics in the world, totaling 109 million people in 2015 - roughly 11 percent of the population. That makes China home to a third of the world's diabetic population. ...