Author Topic: Telegraph (Dancing) planti  (Read 182 times)

Offline ericmonge84345

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
  • Edification: -1
    • View Profile
    • My E-folio
  • First Name: Eric
  • Belief: Christianity
Telegraph (Dancing) planti
« on: June 10, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »
https://youtu.be/J-fIKlcCbSU

I next came across the Telegraph Plant in high school when I read Charles Darwin's 1880 "The Power of Movement in Plants".  I was fascinated by Desmodium gyrans, but never thought I would see one.  Darwin studied this species rather extensively but couldn't reach a viable conclusion as to why the plant did what it did.
Desmodium gyrans is also known as Codariocalyx motorius, but both Latin names are still used.  While Telegraph Plant is its most frequently used common name, it more recently has also been called the Dancing Plant.
Native to the warmer southern countries of Asia, it is a common bushy plant in the bean or legume family, and its seed looks like tiny black eye peas with the color reversed (blackish seed with white eyes).  The branching stems produce elongated single leaves a few inches long, with two tiny lateral leaves at the base.  When temperatures reach over 70 F (22 C), these two small lateral leaves begin to move, or gyrate.  The movement is rather slow but often these small leaves are blocked by the petiole of the larger non-moving leaf, causing them to jerk spastically and rather quickly.  It's fascinating and almost mesmerizing to watch.
Why does it do this?  Darwin couldn't figure it out, although he pondered whether it was to "knock off" drops of rainwater that might collect on the leaves.  More recently it's been concluded that the lateral leaves are searching or groping for the direction of the sun, and the larger single leaves then tilt slightly to follow the sunlight, optimizing photosynthesis.  It's still controversial.  At night when the plant is sleeping (a major subject of his book was how plants sleep) all the leaves droop downward.
Another odd thing that's been discovered in recent years is that not only warmth instigates the movement, but sound.  Hence the name Dancing Plant.  Sound, especially high frequency sound, causes the lateral leaves to move more rapidly.

Url: https://www.californiacarnivores.com/blogs/peter-damatos-blog/75624069-the-telegraph-plant

I take care of Venus Flytraps and two different Drosera Capensis
(Honeydews) and  it's dissapointing for me to learn how much into "darwinism" these people were. I can't have anything to do with them.

Never-the-less, this is one cool plant! Dancing and praising God!
Let us start a new day!

Offline ericmonge84345

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
  • Edification: -1
    • View Profile
    • My E-folio
  • First Name: Eric
Re: Telegraph (Dancing) planti
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
eric on June 10, 2017
"C.Darwin couldnt explain why this simple looking plant dances and ironicly he went to seminar college.
All plants and animals are Gods creation and theyre all beautiful, so it dances and praises its creator, amen!
Have a nice day! "

I thought i would leave this comment on the blog to state my belief really breifly,lol.
Let us start a new day!

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
  • Edification: 2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »
 Isa 55:12,  For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

;D

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL5) Seasoned
  • Edification: 33
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 07:13:07 PM »
Thanks Eric.  That is one I'm going to enjoy having a look at.
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline Dee Babbitt

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dolores
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
Yes, thank you for this Eric.  It was awesome to watch this little plant dance  :)
Our Father in Heaven is awesome.  He created such beauty and lovely nature.

Lately, even more than ever, I have stopped to smell the roses.  I stop and take time to look at and appreciate His creation, the trees, plants and all the different flowers and birds,  the butterflies, fruits and vegetables and the beautiful animals, the funny and sweet dogs (who unconditionally love us and are faithful companions),  the moon and planets and stars, sunrise and sunsets.  All this, and more, is evidence of our wonderful Creator.

Philippians 4:8

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
  • Edification: 2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:48:32 AM »
Romans 1: 19, ¶ Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    20, For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

I believe there is a verse in one of the pslams that says all men are conscious of the presence of God, but I couldnt find it.

When I was lost I had a lot of time to study and mediatte on the nature around me, especially when I travelled. I vbel;ieve God showed me things through that. His Creation bears witness of His almighty power and goodness.

I often wonder how it is possible that when people look at the earth they can still say that it came about by accident. ... Looking at a tree or an insect clearly shows  a wonderful, magnificent design.

Offline Dee Babbitt

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dolores
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:28:19 AM »
Amen.  Beautifully stated.

Yes, how can people look at the perfectly designed nature around us, and deny their Maker?