Author Topic: (ARTICLE) The Book of Acts: My Notes on Chapters 1-5  (Read 347 times)

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 41
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christianity
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 35
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
Re: (ARTICLE) The Book of Acts: My Notes on Chapters 1-5
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »
Thanks for this, Chris! This is great and I hope to see more of this type of thing in the future.

I haven't finished reading it yet but I do have to question one particular point. Your note on Acts 1:13 states:

The upper room of a house was a place of privacy. All the disciples had forsaken or denied Christ, but they all gathered together in a room because of their faith, except one, Judas Iscariot, who could have chosen to join the others, and would have had their forgiveness as well as Christ's, but choose to abandon the faith.

I agree that Judas could have asked forgiveness if he had lived, however, he killed himself before Jesus was even crucified. Therefore, he could not have chosen to join them at this particular point in time. My concern is that anyone reading this who is not already familiar with the rest of the story would get the impression that Judas was still alive here.

Matthew 27 When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death: 2 and when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. 5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Edit: I suppose this raises the question of not only how (which you explained), but when Judas died. Mattew makes it sound like it was immediate but I guess it could have been later since the priests could not have gone out right then and there to buy the potter's field, either. This is just my opinion, but I think he would at least have done it before the resurrection, though.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:10:32 AM by Jeanne »

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 35
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
Re: (ARTICLE) The Book of Acts: My Notes on Chapters 1-5
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:28:33 AM »
The responses after this post were a complete derailment from the topic so I split it. See the new topic as 'Archaeological Evidence For The Bible'. I don't know how to move this topic to another board, however, since it doesn't belong here.