Author Topic: Edify / rebuke  (Read 11683 times)

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Edify / rebuke
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
What I don't understand is how did anyone get the idea they knew how to do this better than what Chris has set up?  This thread went from explaining edify/rebuke to arguing about what might be better?  Is that really worth arguing about?  I am with Chris, I would rather read what is happening and try to understand it instead of worrying about numbers, who is clicking on what, and seeking rebuke for what I post that is wrong.

Just my two cents (opinion for those who don't speak English well).
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »
You don't really notice a reduction in the edification 'score' in the form of rebuke unless it goes down into the negative numbers. I have noticed that when a person gets a 'rebuke' reaction, it is in conjunction with verbal rebuke in the form of a post reply.

Take that guy James who was recently banned. He had a -4 or something like that by the time he was kicked out but there were also plenty of posts rebuking him as well and pointing out his error.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »
But now I'm considering removing it for another reason. Did anyone notice that when Masha started complaining in selfishness about her number being low, suddenly her number went up some? Same thing happened with Joop. This is not a participation award. If Christians here were judging righteous judgment, that shouldn't have happened. If people are being edified for saying wrong things, then we're not in a mature enough place as a whole to have such a feature.

This whole thing wasn't an issue until we started hearing people whine about it (not Kenneth, because he was just inquiring about it, but rather, it was those who didn't like it because they were not judging themselves), and that again reveals the selfishness of the heart. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but if that kind of thing keeps up, we might just get rid of it.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Joop

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joop
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »
Did anyone notice that when Masha started complaining in selfishness about her number being low, suddenly her number went up some?
I didn't, but it wasn't me. I even can't figure out how to get numbers up or down.

Same thing happened with Joop
Yes, I noticed. I thought I was on the right track.

If people are being edified for saying wrong things...
I you mean I am one of them saying wrong things, I don't get it. I only said I prefer open rebuke rather than a subtraction from my edication-score. What is wrong with that? Why did you get me rebukes as I would have ignored the open rebukes here on this forum. That is simply not true.
This place should be a discussion forum, where issues freely can be shared. Yes, there were comments here I would not have said. Yes, I understand you rebuking some people. However I don't understand you rebuking me. I really don't. I am really trying to be honest, and expressing myself in English, not  my first langue.

P.S. This website has obviously difficulties with brackets. I won't use them anymore
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:24:44 PM by Joop »

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 04:00:40 PM »
Masha posted some Scripture in another thread that Kevin said helped him out a lot and he said he gave her edification for it. I don't know if that was in response to her complaining about her low score or not.

As I've said before, that button doesn't even show up for me so I couldn't edify/rebuke anyone if I wanted to. Therefore, any reaction I give to what people say is always in the form of a post reply.

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 04:17:45 PM »
Masha posted some Scripture in another thread that Kevin said helped him out a lot and he said he gave her edification for it. I don't know if that was in response to her complaining about her low score or not.

As I've said before, that button doesn't even show up for me so I couldn't edify/rebuke anyone if I wanted to. Therefore, any reaction I give to what people say is always in the form of a post reply.

I thought it was most unfortunate that I was in the situation of thanking Masha for her posting at the same time as the discussion was going on about the edify/rebuke and hence I had to comment at the time as to why I had given Masha a thumbs up rather than just doing it without an explanation.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 04:46:33 PM »

I thought it was most unfortunate that I was in the situation of thanking Masha for her posting at the same time as the discussion was going on about the edify/rebuke and hence I had to comment at the time as to why I had given Masha a thumbs up rather than just doing it without an explanation.
Haha! Well, I guess that demonstrates the point she was making. ;)

However, it wasn't just one; it shot up quickly at the same time. So I don't want anyone to think this is just one person. The point I'm making is that Billy was right on: The rebuke is much more valuable in the end, and the problem is if this is getting in the way of proper rebuke, or that people start abusing it on that point, then I would have any interest in keeping it.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 04:58:49 PM »
I agree!  It is not worth having if people here treat it like a thumbs up on facebook.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 12:31:33 AM »
I for one would like it to stay. I need the rebuke, it has already help me. Maybe Chris you can make an option to have it on one's profile or maybe able to block  some who is not using it properly.

Side note this thread alone shows where some hearts are really at

strangersmind

• Born Again Christians
  • Disciplined (Forum LVL 5)
  • Edification: 24
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Billy
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 01:41:00 AM »
I have an idea how about we just end this thread and focus on Jesus and the word of God. Get edification by the study of the word of god. Get rebuke from the brethren when we start to stray.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 02:19:39 AM »
I have an idea how about we just end this thread and focus on Jesus and the word of God. Get edification by the study of the word of god. Get rebuke from the brethren when we start to stray.
Ya know what? I'm going to give you an edification point for that. Amen.

Masha

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
Great idea.
And, I just managed to read your reply more carefully, I am sorry I didnt do that before, and I often don't take or have time to read things carefully. Anyway I noticed I did not adress some of what Chris wrote.

Christopher said:
Yeah, we could, but... did you stop and think about what you just said? You just said that you don't have a very high rating, and that makes you consider the value of your own words. Why is that a bad thing? However, instead of looking inward, you just ignored judging yourself and asked to have it all removed because you felt bad. Is it unreasonable to think that's why your overall score isn't higher? Would you like me to go over past posts with you to show you why that might be the case?

Yes, I'd love for you to show me how I am selfish or how my words do not have much value and why. But maybe it can be in another thread or via mail. If you have time for it and feel like putting in the effort, I'd appreciate it.