Author Topic: chocolate or idols  (Read 309 times)

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
  • Edification: 2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
  • Belief: Christianity
chocolate or idols
« on: April 17, 2017, 04:05:22 PM »
Hi there , I just came back from a visit with my dad and his wife. (a catholic and a non believer) They gave my children a chocolate rabbit. My children know that we do not celebrate easter in any way, we do not have any easter eggs or anything else that the commercial world produces, just like with christmas and other things. So I took the chocolate rabbits home and my husband is very upset. He believes I should have refused taking the chocolate bunnies and should have told my dad and his wife that we do not eat stuff offered to idols. (something they sadly would not have been able to understand.)
Now, to me the things are just chocolate. Take of the shiny paper and there is just a piece of chocolate. It has no power nor value. Since my husband takes offense to it i am forced to follow whatever he believes is right and refuse such things next time, so i do not offend a brother. But I really believe that you can easily eat the chocolate without being disrespectful to God. To my children it is also nothing more or less than just a piece of chocolate. In my heart I think making a big deal out of a piece of chocolate is really nonsense. It does not bring glory to God. I truly don't see the big deal. (keep in mind we dont do anything the world does with this easterthing and it is mere coincidence we end up getting them. They had the things inside a cookiecan from last year. Our children know very well we dont participate in the worlds rituals, and we explain to them why we do not and what the people do etc. So they know to discern. I honestly do not think they have those principles or biblical believes confused if they eat that chocolate.)

Romans 14: 1, Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
    2, For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
    3, Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
    4, Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
    5, One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.2
    6, He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

1 Cor 8 4, As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
    5, For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
    6, But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.1
    7, Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
    8, But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.2 3
    9, But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.4
    10, For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;5
    11, And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ  12, But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
    13, Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Offline stevesams

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
  • Edification: 6
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Steve
Re: chocolate or idols
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 05:51:19 PM »
I would be more concerned about the amount of sugar in the chocolate than the chocolate being in the shape of a bunny
Steve

James 1:22

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 29
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 05:58:03 PM »
You've got a point there, Steve. Masha, yes, you're right you DO need to obey your husband since he is the head of your household. Besides, if that chocolate is already a year old, would you really want to eat it? Probably not very good anymore...

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 37
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:12:50 PM »
Chocolate can last a long time, that's not the issue, and she's not asking about the health effects...

After reading this, I can tell your problem is "offending" your family, and suggesting what things you would have to say. Why can't you just kindly turn down the gift? If you can't kindly turn down a gift from family, are they really your family? The fact that you fear (via obligation) the result of rejecting the gift makes me concerned that they don't really love you in the first place. (I talked about that some in the recent birthday article I just released.)

Let's say you got them a gift, and then they told you what their beliefs were and that they couldn't accept it; would you get angry? Or would you think, "Oh! I'm so sorry! I didn't realize." That's the reaction you would expect out of someone who is giving you the same respect you give them.

Perhaps you should consider the danger of accepting pagan gifts from a Catholic. You're more concerned about the message you're sending them by not accepting it, rather than the message you're sending if you do accept it (because that sends a message too), and I praise God for your husband taking a firm stand. Please consider that both actions send a message.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline Masha

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL3) Commoner
  • Edification: 2
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Masha
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:25:45 AM »
After writing on the forum yesterday, and talking with my husband I realised that I was wrong in accepting the things in the first place. So I apologised to my husband and I explained to my children in the morning and we got rid of the chocolatebunnies. I also kindly asked my family not to give us anymore of such things. So, eventhough I still believe  those things have no power over us, this was simply not a matter of what to eat or not to eat. As in my family being offended. Let's just say they can add this to a large pile of stuff they cannot understand or relate to. So be it. I have tried numerous times to explain, share the Gospel, etc. but they don't hear. They see us as strange, extreme, etc. It's just logical as they cannot comprehend the things of God. I will gladly be called anything for Christ's sake. I will continue to pray for them as I have been doing for years. And if any next occassion arises I will take the opporrtunity to witness once more instead of accepting the pagan gifts. As I should have done this time. And as for the Sugar/expired concern. My children hardly eat sugar so wouldnt have been able to eat the whole thing at once anyway:-) and I dont think they were expired:-) They looked pretty hippedehop. They cheerfully hopped right into the trashcan!!! :-)))
Thank for your input!!

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL5) Seasoned
  • Edification: 34
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 05:22:41 AM »
I also kindly asked my family not to give us anymore of such things.

They could still give your children some ordinary chocolate so long as it didn't have any pagan associated shape or packaging and it was only due to the fact that you were visiting and not associated with the pagan ritual time of year.  That would of course only be if your husband approved of that.
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Jessica

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
Masha, the answer depends on what type of chocolate it was, are we talking Palmer or Godiva? Like the inferior gritty cheap chocolate or the silky smooth amazing dark chocolate that tastes like God himself handcrafted it!

Ok, I'm completely joking!

I think you arrived at the right solution by honoring your husband in this situation. You bless your husband by yielding to his convictions, even in the small things. It's not always easy to refuse a gift, especially when it's for your children. You honor God in being truthfull and it's an opportunity to share truth with someone even if you feel it won't be recieved. Maybe, you planted a seed to get them thinking.