Author Topic: Hi again from Michigan  (Read 4564 times)

Suelong88

Hi again from Michigan
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:03:43 PM »
Hey guys.  It's Sue.  I've been a member of the forum for a little over a year, I think. 

I am so thankful to have found this site of Bible believing Christians and have enjoyed the discussions and articles.

I'm married (almost 23 years) and have a son (18) and a daughter (16). 

Joshua

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 22
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Hi again from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:30:04 PM »
Welcome back, I'm glade you rejoined.

By the way, I'm curious what your favorite article is?
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psalm 34:18

Suelong88

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
Thanks Joshua.  I hope you are feeling better.  :)

Of Chris'?  Maybe the "Why I Use The King James Bible" and the Christmas one.  Oh and the Catholic one.  There are so many.

Joshua

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 22
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joshua
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »
Ture!  There are so many.  The "Why I Use The King James Bible" article helped a lot.  My mom and I immediately started using a King James Bible, and I think simply picking up a KJB helped us more then the teachings.  I believe the Lord lead us to the article; we were blessed to have been given the truth by God, and the He opened our eyes.  I believe it was having God's infallible Word, and Him giving the understanding, that showed us the fault in the SDAs we were studying from; without his preserved Word, we may have never been freed from that.

But I believe the "Is Repentance Part of Salvation?" is the most important article..  The Lord has blessed through that, and so much clarity has come from Him. 

Perhaps not health wise, but I continue to feel better and better when it comes to faith and the Word of God; which is what truly matters.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:31:30 PM by Joshua »
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psalm 34:18

Suelong88

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »
Yes, I also believe that the Lord led me to this site as well.  I found it by searching for why there are discrepancies between the versions and I found this site.  I too have switched completely and even bought KJV for my kids.  It is amazing how much understanding you can gain from just reading a whole passage.  I have friends that always talk about this guy's commentary or this message in a study Bible and I find that they can be so far off from what the original intent was.  The most recent incident was when someone was talking about repentance and how it was a turning away.  I said that it is actually not that.  Then they gave me a current Webster's definition.  So I sent them the 1828 Webster's definition and explained that this is the dictionary that I use when looking up biblical words.  They were all amazed that there was scripture quoted along with the definitions.  It's hard to truly understand what the bible is saying when we use modern language to define it.  So much has changed even in the last 40 years.  But the Bible hasn't changed and is infallible.  Thanks be to God that he gives understanding to the simple. 

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:28:45 AM »
Hi, Sue!

I knew you were from Michigan before, but didn't know exactly where. Redford is right next to Livonia, where I grew up!

Suelong88

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
Yes Jeanne.  We had this discussion on the previous page.  I grew up in West Bloomfield/Farmington Hills.

Masha

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:39:23 PM »
Hi Sue, how nice to read you have children:-) and they are quite a bit bigger than mine!! Do they know the Lord??
I find raising children very challenging at times, especially when it come to being 'in' the world but not 'off' the world.
Do you have any advise for me????
Masha

Suelong88

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
Masha,
I remember when you had posed a question in the old forum that I had answered for you.  I hope that you were able to see that response.

Thankfully both of my children and my husband know the Lord!   :)

I remember you had mentioned that your kids were interested in instruments and sports?  Is that correct?  How is that going?

I find that it is important to talk about things from a biblical perspective.  I always try to pose that question to them when they are making decisions.  Like, if you do this, does it compromise your beliefs?  Why do you want to go see this movie?  Are you aware of what's in it?  Recently they wanted to go see the movie CoCo, but I wouldn't let them.  Technically they are old enough to go even if I disapprove, but I wanted to know why they wanted to go.  Did they know that it's about the day of the dead?  And why would you want to support a movie like that? As it turned out they did not go to that movie. 

We talk about these sorts of things all the time.  They are very close to being out on their own and making their own decisions about things so I make it a point now (while they are still under my roof) to talk about these things and their choices and how it will affect them in the future.  And how it can affect their walk with God.

It is hard to be in the world and not of it.  Especially since my kids are in public school. But we talk alot.  Thankfully they do talk with me about everything. 

Just be mindful of always weighing things against the Word even when the world finds it ridiculous. 

Masha

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
Hi Sue, yes I remember the other post now that you mention. My children have started to do horseriding and my son will start playing soccer. These were kinda the only options because my husband is very strict. My main problem is that I do not agree with the method my husband uses, wich is to have a great number of rules to keep them from the world. Now they are still small but when they grow and have their own opinions it will be difficult, Im sure. My concern is to lead them to Christ, and the rules might do the opposite. I am trying to navigate between my husbands views on the matter and my own discernment. It is not easy.
Thank you for sharing with me! Praise the Lord your family is saved:-)!

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 12:40:17 AM »
Hi Masha & Sue

It was interesting reading this and I couldn't help seeing the parallel between the raising of children and a person not being a railer as outlined in some of the posts Chris has just made. 

Huh??  :-\ 

You could kill two birds with one stone (so to speak) by (as I'm sure you're already doing) raising children to be able to explain to others matters of life without railing   .....   but also as the children grow they can use the same careful skills with their Dad to explain that they have liberty to do certain things that are not sinful and in formulating those kinds of replies they are then also thinking through the issues themselves. When the growing young adults are used to formulating correct answers to what they are doing and why they are doing it and the consequences that will inevitably arise from making certain decisions they will much more likely stay on the right track. 

They won't survive in the congregations in the church buildings though because the questions of, what are we doing? and why are we doing it? are forbidden.  ;)
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)