Author Topic: (ARTICLE) Why I Don't Celebrate Birthdays  (Read 164 times)

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 32
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christianity
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 1
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Susan
Re: (ARTICLE) Why I Don't Celebrate Birthdays
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
This kind of relates back to previous posts about Mother's Day, etc.  Why do we wait for one specific day to acknowledge someone?  If my children need something I don't wait until their birthday to get it for them. "Sorry, kid...I know you've outgrown your pants and need new ones, but your birthday's a couple of months away.  Have to wait until then."  Likewise my Mother.  Col 2:8 has become one of my favorite verses. 

Colossians 2:8King James Version (KJV)
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Still reading the article.

Offline Jephte21

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL2) Sojourner
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jephte
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:20:57 AM »
I have a question concerning traditions? should we keep the obligation to give our parents or a loved one a public funeral. Or is this Biblical at all?

Matthew 8:21-22 King James Version (KJV)

21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
This saddens me so much.  So many friends I know who claim to be Christians don't believe in the occult.  I don't understand this.  Praise God he brought me out of dabbling in that practice.  It makes me mad that most of the traditions are steeped in the occult.  And people don't even know.

Ephesians 6:12King James Version (KJV)
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

The Lord has been leading me away from these traditions for a long while and now I understand why.  How very cunning the devil is.

I'm about to lose some friends, I think...

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
I have a question concerning traditions? should we keep the obligation to give our parents or a loved one a public funeral. Or is this Biblical at all?

Matthew 8:21-22 King James Version (KJV)

21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead

This was actually the topic of the message in church yesterday. 

Luke 9:51-62King James Version (KJV)
51 And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,
52 And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him.
53 And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.
54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.
57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

My pastor said that in that day (which I need to look into) that for the dead to bury the dead, it might have taken a whole year.  They would wait for the body to decompose and take the bones and put them in a ossuary.  Which would make Matthew 8:21-22 and Luke 9:60 about a timing issue. 

Jesus asks us to follow Him, RIGHT NOW.  In order to follow Christ we have to leave behind the things of the world.  There is no going back to the world and then back to Christ.   

But, to answer your question about current funerals.  I don't think they're a bad thing.  We're not turning from Christ to honor our family member. 

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 03:12:38 PM »
My pastor said that in that day (which I need to look into) that for the dead to bury the dead, it might have taken a whole year.

Wherever you're attending, in whatever church building where you have this pastor teaching... I would highly recommend getting out of there. Here's why:

And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree: His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.
-Deut 21:22-23

The Jews never waited a year to bury the dead, and you can see this logically in the verse. The only reason they would not have buried the hanged man immediately, as they did with everyone else, was to make an example of him for all those who passed through. However, God said not to do that, otherwise, the dead corpse would defile the land (i.e. because of spiritual violations, and through disease).

The reason I say to get away from that man is because he's teaching from a standpoint of worldly knowledge, or in other words, he's looking to worldly traditions to explain the Word of God first and foremost, rather than going to the Bible itself. I could be wrong about that, but I'm not aware of anything in Scripture that talks about them waiting a year to bury their dead. He didn't bother to go back to the Bible and find out what the standard operating procedure was, and it almost sounds like he got that from someone's commentary.

Israel still buries their dead to this day. Only those who were wealthy had tombs, and even then, they were placed in the tombs as soon as they died... they didn't keep them around for a while first. Sure, they might have been around a day or two for the family to come and grieve, but making up a story about how Jesus didn't want them to wait a year is an idea pulled out of thin air. (Or in the pastor's case, it might be hot air.)
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
Oh, I left something out. I didn't mean to imply that they didn't put the body in the tomb first, but that the entire burial process might take a year.  They would lay the body in the tomb and then after if decomposed they would take the bones out and put in an ossuary to make the tomb available for another. 

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
I didn't say you said that. I'm saying that those tombs were reserved for the rich, and even then There is no tradition mentioned in Scripture of waiting a year to bury people, and that this pastor theorized that on his own outside of Scripture.

Go back and read John 11 for yourself. In verse 39, Lazarus had been dead for four days before Christ got there. He was already buried when He and His disciples arrived. You can try to defend your pastor all your want, but the fact is that he did not go to Scripture for the basis of his teaching.

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »
No, you're right.  That isn't found in scripture.  I seriously have my foot half out the door.  The fact that they use the ESV, which omits some of the scripture of that passage.  No, I'm not defending him at all.

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
I really want to do an article exposing the ESV because I've found many pastors use that one. When I would go to church buildings and speak, most pastors were using it. However, I would have to do a lot of research I don't want to do, and it would end up falling on deaf ears.

Offline LABcrab

• (LVL0) Newly Registered
  • Edification: 2
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
  • First Name: Alex
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 02:56:53 AM »
In my former church, the NIV was used when Rick Reed was the lead pastor from 1998 to 2012. A lead pastor was sought in 2013, with Dr. Jay Klopfenstein (an unbiblical title, like Chris said) chosen to begin leadership in 2014. In his lead, the ESV was his translation, but pews still had the NIV. On September 4, 2016, Dr. Jonathan Griffiths preached his first sermon at the Met, returning to the NIV. On top of being a seeker-friendly church, the frequent pastor and Bible changes caused uncertainty.

Offline Suelong88

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »
Chris,

I think your teaching on why you use the King James Bible is sufficient.  I agree, anything additional would fall on deaf ears.