Author Topic: Choosing a job that's God pleasing  (Read 1322 times)

Natalie

Choosing a job that's God pleasing
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:02:17 AM »
I need some advice regarding career choices. My last job was working in a public high school as a teacher's aid, which I really liked. But they obviously teach and do ungodly things and doing evil seemed unavoidable. I'm not really sure if it would be wise teaching in a private Christian school or not. What is the opinion on that? Is the public school ok as long as you're a math teacher and not involved in teaching weird new age stuff?

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 447
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Choosing a job that's God pleasing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »
I think you had written me about this previous, is that right? You were a lot more specific in this post than what you wrote me. That's really personally conviction; if you're forced to teach something that you cannot stomach being able to teach, then it's something you should depart from, or at least, talk to a higher up about fixing. I know that in public schools, instructional material is government regulated now, but you don't have to operate by textbooks. Teachers have a lot of liberty because the schools are supposed to be run by the community, not the state. I know there are issues where your curriculum has to be approved in some manner, but there are teachers I've had that did not use textbooks at all. I had an English/Lit teacher that never used textbooks with us (and another in college who didn't either), I had a Speech/Drama teacher who never used textbooks--teaching doesn't come from the textbook. The textbook is only intended as a guide and reference, but the teacher is still the teacher, so you have to decide if you want to stay and try to figure out what you can do for the students, or leave and figure out if there is a better place for you to have more liberty in teaching the truth. There are also people I've seen who do home school and tutoring in the local towns, and make a living have individual families pay them to school their children out of their homes, preparing them to take their GEDs. Some parents love that idea because they can be more directly involved with their children's educations while still maintaining their day jobs.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18