Author Topic: I'm not just saying hello.  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 36
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Christianity
Re: I'm not just saying hello.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:12 PM »
Chris is the only one who can edit that bit but why do you want to?

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 37
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 12:52:06 AM »
Chris wrote:
When I was saved, for many years after, I celebrated Christmas and Easter. It's not that a true born-again Christian won't do these things, but when they're presented with the truth of Scripture ...

Oh, I'm just as guilty of that as the next person until I knew better.  I started using the term "real Christian" even when I was still doing those things but was unaware that it was wrong, but my comments were to people who had claimed to be Christians for decades and their behaviour and beliefs were anything but Christian (They still haven't changed).  Out of habit I still use the term today as a means of pushing people forward to check things out.  I don't necessarily expect to see a response from some people but I know that people remember things for a very long time and at some stage in the future the words I have spoken may cause people to start thinking.  Other Christians I had come into contact with in the past before I was a Christian, probably had no idea of the seeds they were sowing  ....  but I had remembered the things they had said and at the right time those words had a dramatic impact on my life.

When I was a new Christian I sure wish I had someone around who could point a lot of things out for me.  A sound person pointing to scriptures and telling me "real Christians this" and "real Christians that" would have been an absolute God-send and would have saved me a lot of heartache.

There was no internet in those days and the churches were full of people who knew very little and didn't want to know much either.  Church was for them as it is today for a lot of people, a community centre where they could just catch up with their friends and they think that so long as they have the label "Christian" attached to themselves then they will be OK.  No personal Christian growth, no repentance, go with the flow, follow the world, I'll sing my way into Heaven on Sunday mornings.

Today I always let it be known that I don't "go to church" and that I am in disagreement with what goes on in the church buildings so that we don't get lumped in with everyone else who calls themselves a Christian.  Since people also love money I also let them know that all of their money is their own and that it is totally wrong for any church asking them to tithe etc.
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline GRD

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 1
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Guy
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 07:35:08 AM »
Chris is the only one who can edit that bit but why do you want to?
I don't; I could not remember the selections available and if their was an option in the 'other' to specify.
Redeemed ... by the precious blood of Christ.
1Peter 1:18-19

Offline TonyaJ

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
  • Edification: 1
    • View Profile
    • The Chicken Whisperer
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »
Welcome.

Please keep in mind that is why there is a "born again believers" section. Just because I call myself a "Christian" doesn't mean I don't know what that means. Many people out there and use that term without any clue what it really means. There is nothing wrong  with us using Christian to describe ourselves when we have been forgiven of our sins and live a life trying to be worthy of the Savior.
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 2 Cor. 6:17

Offline Ceegen

• Banned
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: -3
    • View Profile
    • My testimony on YouTube
  • First Name: James
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »
Please keep in mind that is why there is a "born again believers" section.

What does it mean to be born again? When is a person born again? I was under the impression that being born again means that we must first die a physical death, to inherit our spiritual bodies, as per John 3.

"Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:" - 1st Corinthians ch15 v36

And...

"A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth." - Ecclesiastes ch7 v1.

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »
Actually, John 3 is saying that to be born again is to be born in the Spirit, which is what happens when we are saved.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his motherís womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

We don't have to die physically in order to be born spiritually. That's why there is such a continual war between the spirit and the flesh after accepting Jesus Christ as Saviour; the spirit is born again but the body (flesh) isn't. If we have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we have been born again and that happens before physical death.

I've always assumed that the bit about being born of water in verse 5 is referring to being baptised but I could be wrong about that.

Offline Ceegen

• Banned
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
Being born of water (verse 5) is, from how I understand it, just a natural birth. The water of the womb.

Offline ericmonge84345

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
    • View Profile
    • My E-folio
  • First Name: Eric
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Hello James,
You presented an interesting question and I believe its been answered which the article on "False Converts" but never the less a topic we can always start a new tread on.
I still have questions of my own which i want to pressent and discuss whether in the public or private...

Also, Jeanne answered pretty accurately with scripture, not to say we cant continue the discussion. ^_^  d
Let us start a new day!

Offline Ceegen

• Banned
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
Hello James,
You presented an interesting question and I believe its been answered which the article on "False Converts" but never the less a topic we can always start a new tread on.
I still have questions of my own which i want to pressent and discuss whether in the public or private...

Yeah sure, start a thread? Send a message?

Also, Jeanne answered pretty accurately with scripture, not to say we cant continue the discussion. ^_^  d

But what sense does it make to be "born of water" (as in baptism) if you're already "born of spirit" by being saved? I guess I just see this a little more literally.

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »
I guess the problem I have with that logic is that if you're not born physically then you don't exist to be born spiritually so what's the point in specifying a physical birth? It's quite obvious that if you don't exist you're never going to see the kingdom of God. Besides, John was baptising people before Jesus even showed up publically.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Offline Ceegen

• Banned
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »
Time to move this somewhere else ;p

Jessica

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 11:41:20 PM »
Welcome Ceegen, I'm new too :)

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 37
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 03:19:13 AM »
Welcome Ceegen, I'm new too

To the regulars in the forum this has got to be so funny.  "Ceegen" recently got booted out of the forum because his behaviour was that of a wolf rather than a Christian.  Before he got booted he even had a nasty rant at Chris Johnson.
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline ericmonge84345

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
    • View Profile
    • My E-folio
  • First Name: Eric
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
Well then, should this thread be locked?
  ???

#LOCK THREAD
Let us start a new day!