Author Topic: What is a Biblical marriage?  (Read 3093 times)

Masha

What is a Biblical marriage?
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
Im sorry for my ignorance, but I am confused about the marriage-legal/no legal, contract, no contract.
According to the Scriptures what is a Biblical marriage??
Is it sinfull to get married legally because it is registered by the government?
I never experienced any control from the government due to the fact I am legally married. In the Netherlands the government is very strong and present, but that is in any case, not just when you are married. Is that different in the USA?
I tried to search the Scriptures but can't find anything that describes how a marriage comes about ...

Joop

• BANNED
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Joop
  • Belief: Other
Re: What is a Biblical marriage?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »
Is it sinfull to get married legally because it is registered by the government?

I got married by the German government, my wife is German. To me it is a registration for tax-registration, and I don't think I am bound in some way to the German government.
It never occured to me a legal marriage could be sinfull.
I know there are teachings on marriages on CLE, but maybe a short answer could be given to the question above.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 12:03:36 PM »
I'm getting close to releasing a book/article on the subject. This is why I haven't been commenting on the marriage posts lately.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

smolemong

• CLE Church Members
  • Edification: 31
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Silindile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
Masha, as far I understand, the primary issue with the legal contracts is authority. By going to the law you hand them the authority that belongs to GOD alone. The government of your land may not interfere in your marriage at this point, but giving them power over you by going to them means at any time they choose they can exercise their given authority over your marriage and depending on how the law works in The Netherlands over your children as well. Most of the people I raise the contract issue with speak about experiences related to inheritance and how some in-laws take advantage when someone has died and try to claim possessions. They say being able to produce the license has prevented suffering on this basis. I cannot dispute that if there are legal entanglements a license would likely make the process of proving rightful inheritance easier. I cannot, however, justify doing something that is not pleasing in GOD'S sight for the reason that I, or any children I may have, may or may not be provided for in future. GOD'S path is  not easy but ultimately we all have to trust HIM to provide for our needs. HE gives work for our hands that provides food for our bellies etc. Should the worst happen HE would still be GOD and that means in the fullness of time HE would make means of escape should HE deem fit. So in answer to the question of "Is it sinfull to get married legally because it is registered by the government?" The problem isn't necessarily registering things with the government (I see no sin in getting a driving license,  it is supposed to protect the citizenry), the problem is in eliminating GOD from the marriage equation which is sin. Marriage is something GOD originated and because of that I think it should be approached with a great deal of reverence and care. I am clearly struggling to give a short answer please read the article Christopher has written https://www.creationliberty.com/articles/marriage.php#0. I haven't been through the updated version and he said he isn't finished yet but I am sure there is enough information to answer many of your questions.

More than once you have also brought up the issue of making vows (in conversation with Zach and in another post), this is something believers ought not to do whether in marriage or other contexts: 
Matthew 5:34 KJV
But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne

James 5:12 KJV
But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.
Romans 8:5-6 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. [6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
The link she provided is the book I'm referring to, but I'm not quite done with it yet.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

zachshrader

• Born Again Christians
  • Edification: 21
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Zachary
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 10:52:57 PM »
The reason im speaking on marriage so often is because im heavily convicted by it and I thank the Lord for bringing me to Chris's articles.  The fact that the bible has so LITTLE to say about marriage actually says SO much.  Thats telling us that all of the things that we do for marriage are obviously 100% tradition of man and the Bible tells us to steer clear from the traditions of men.

Colossians 2:8 - "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."
Mark 7:8 - "For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do." 

Once you learn that the Bible doesnt speak about all of the traditions of marriage, you then need to understand where all of the traditions came from in the first place which is the Pagans and the catholics.  All of the traditions seem harmless and meaningless, but the pagans created them and had given them their own meanings which makes the Word of God of none effect.  For example the wedding ring.  Here is a small piece of Chris's article.

""The wedding ring also has its origin in pagan times. According to the ancient Greeks, Prometheus [titan who created mankind] made the first wedding band out of smelted metal for strength and endurance. The unbroken circle was believed to signify the harmony of marriage... Modern-day adaptations of the many pagan rites have become big business! Photographers, jewelers, musicians, and florists have all prospered from ancient customs.""
-Abigail Kirsch, The Bride and Groom's First Cookbook, Doubleday, 1996, p. 4, ISBN: 9780385476355

Jeremiah 10 1-2
"1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them."

Theres so many other things, like the need for a pastor who uses and speaks out of the book of common prayer which the Bible never speaks of so when you read whats in that book of common prayer its pretty messed up and is filled with all sorts of sin. 

And then once you read about all of that then you research and read about the contracts the "marriage license".  The marriage license has terms and conditions that you probably never see or ever know about.  Most people think its just a certificate but theres actually a very specific contract to it.  That contract removes God and gives the government and state all power over your marriage.  Under your marriage it also gives the state the sole authority over your children, so you are basically a caretaker of them and the state can reclaim what you have signed over to them (your children) at any time they choose and the majority of us have signed that contract ignorantly so therefore signing your children over unknowingly but also willingly.  Its all sorts of messed up Masha!!!!!