Author Topic: Question regarding: "Progressive Sanctification" doctrine  (Read 3746 times)

Zack

Question regarding: "Progressive Sanctification" doctrine
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
Hey everyone,

There is something that has intrigued my as of late - especially coming out of some 'reformed' churches (how do you reform something wicked from the start ? )

I've seen/heard this doctrine regarding 'progressive sanctification' --I don't endorse this link - but please check it to see what is being claimed: https://www.allaboutfollowingjesus.org/progressive-sanctification-faq.htm

It would appear that some hold the doctrine that we are progressively getting more 'holy'   -  this seems to be a works based type of thing. What I mean is that some of these reformed guys think that they are getting more holy and holy but I suspect that some are not born again.

However on the other hand,  as the Holy Spirit leads and shows us things - we separate ourselves from things we may or may not have been aware of and have been revealed in due time.  We can't expect new Christians to be aware of the holidays, paganism, tradiations, etc  - it takes time.

So my question is this: 

Have you guys had experience with this seemingly works based view of sanctification ?  Are we not 'Holy' from the start of receiving the Spirit and are slowly but surely separating ourselves as we learn and grow in the Word ?? This appears to be 2 different things/contexts.

Would like to hear your thoughts/experiences,

-Zack

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Question regarding: "Progressive Sanctification" doctrine
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:53:14 PM »
I didn't know this post existed until now, but I can say that your explanation was confusing. Sanctification is a work. So when you say "works-based sanctification," that's confusing. I don't know how to respond.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Zack

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
Hey Chris,

I guess my question ought to be... does God see us as more "Holy" as we are sanctified or is it rather the static Holiness of the Spirit that is becoming more evident ? Sanctified by works or by grace ?

Are there many who appear to be sanctified shown via works in a progressive matter, yet are not of the Spirit ? I would say yes regarding those who believe in works for salvation.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 10:34:43 PM »
The only holiness we have is that which is given to us by the Lord Jesus Christ; it is His shed blood on our souls that God sees, not our own "holiness." But because we have His blood of righteousness on our souls, we ought to be sanctified according to His Word.
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
-James 2:18
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 02:43:36 PM »
I have to say I don't understand the post either.  When we repent in grief and godly sorrow, isn't it a learning process from there?  I don't like the new age term "progressive." 
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 05:22:10 PM »
We are saved by grace through faith by repenting (grief and godly sorrow). That's a one-time event. Sanctification (separating ourselves from evil and the world) is a process after that. Repentance is the means by which we are saved; sanctification is the works showing evidence of our salvation.

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
I like that response Jeanne!  So true!
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Masha

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 03:37:05 PM »
I hope I am understanding all this correctly. I agree with Jeanne.
Yet there is a groups out there that claims this ongoing process of sanctification, as a proof of us being born-again. This group holds to the idea that a person, once saved, will (and must) show evidence of sanctification, through a continuous process of becoming more holy. They provide their own rules for what ' holy' looks like and push others to follow them if not 'they might not be saved'. I find it to be very scary when men ought to judge anyone's salvation according to their own standards.
The article ( I didn't read it, just the start) seems to be part of that type of group
I believe our sanctification comes forth of us growing in the Lord, and is His glory, not ours. I also believe sanctification is quite personal, as we all have different past and habits, and the Lord guides us through the Truth we need to understand individually. The only standard by which our sanctification could be measured is the Word of God, and nothing else.

Zack

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 06:32:08 PM »
Hey guys - I'm now seeing your responses.

Here is Websters 1828:

SANCTIFICA'TION, noun [See Sanctify.]

1. The act of making holy. In an evangelical sense, the act of God's grace by which the affections of men are purified or alienated from sin and the world, and exalted to a supreme love to God.

God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation, through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth. 2 Thessalonians 2:13. 1 Peter 1:2.

2. The act of consecrating or of setting apart for a sacred purpose; consecration.

-----------------

Chris - we are in agreement no doubt - its just this  has tripped me up in the past

Chicken Wisperer ---I don't like the term "progressive" either.

Masha --- yes I agree and that is why I was asking if anyone had first hand experience with this doctrine, because in the past I didn't understand why certain people would go out of their way to appear 'sanctified'. It's almost as if it had to be proven among men or something to further cement their 'holy' status among men (the respecting person thing again?)

The reason I asked is that it appears that this is evident in some calvinist circles - to which some of the churches in my past leaned toward.  I have left some time ago, but still trying to understand some things in hindsight.

When I did look more into it - I started to ponder about if we are sanctified in 1 act of being born again in the spirit vs. the acts thereafter where that holiness becomes evident in our lives moving forward.