Author Topic: Chastisement  (Read 3523 times)

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
  • Belief: Christian
Chastisement
« on: October 29, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
I'm a little worried about the whole topic of chastisement, not about being chastised, about the fact that I do not feel like I am being chastised. Like I said when I joined that I am trying to sanctify myself from some things that are evil that do like for example a few video games, like the demonic games known as bendy and the ink machine or five nights at Freddy's. I did not play the games but I liked to watch people play the games. There were other things I managed to sanctify myself from much earlier. I only recently got away from the bendy game because as more time went past, it began to bother me more and more. I was reading Chris's articles again and I am afraid that I haven't been chastised and that made me worried. Could you give me any form of response and have any of had any similar experiences?
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Re: Chastisement
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 05:36:51 AM »
The way I understand it, chastisement is only necessary when someone is in rebellion. If you recognise your sin, confess it, and keep trying to sanctify yourself, then chastisement is not necessary. A Christian (and I'm talking about someone truly born again, not a false convert) will only be punished if they wallow in their sin and act like God is going to accept it.

Masha

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »
It might be a case of languages different interpretation, but my understanding of chastisement different. For me it is undergoing suffering and learning from it and growing in the Lord because of it. I think chastisement is not only when we transgress or backslide, but also happens when we walk honestly with the Lord, and there are area's the Lord helps us to learn in. Many of that learning is not pleasant, and I would call that chastisement.
It is not punishment for a transgression, but more the endurance of suffering to work in us patience, longsuffering, perseverence, etc. I experience some things in my life as chastisement from the Lord, but I do not see it as a punishment for sin I commit. (Sometimes it is, a known sin or an sin I am not aware of, but sometimes it is not.) I have things to learn , and to learn these things the Lord allows things in my life, allows situations to occur, etc. so that I may suffer and learn. ( I have to admit I do learn very well when under pressure, if not sometimes it takes me a long time to learn certain things.)

Yet when I read the verses of chastisement, Jeanne's understanding might be more accurate.
Deu 8:5 Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so the LORD thy God chasteneth thee.
Pro 13:24

Zoologistkid

• Born Again Christians
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: 49
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Caleb
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:29:16 AM »
Thanks, Jeanne, for explaining because I didn't know all of the details, I thought even if I confess, and try to sanctify myself from it but still watch it, I was still going to be chastised. I was listening to Christopher talking about how if you don't get chastisement, then you aren't apart of the born again and that made me worried. I am rather new at all of this stuff and I can very worrisome for many reasons.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26 Who can say that man is an animal?

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
Could we take this a step further and discuss the difference between chastisement and rebuke?  Or are they the same?
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »
Masha, I think you're getting chastisement and affliction or persecution mixed up.

CHASTISEMENT, noun Correction; punishment; pain inflicted for punishment and correction, either by stripes or otherwise.

Shall I so much dishonour my fair stars, On equal terms to give him chastisement

I have borne chastisement I will not offend any more. Job 34:31.

The chastisement of our peace, in Scripture, was the pain which Christ suffered to purchase our peace and reconciliation to God. Isaiah 53:5.

AFFLIC'TION, noun

1. The state of being afflicted; a state of pain, distress, or grief.

Some virtues are seen only in affliction

2. The cause of continued pain of body or mind, as sickness, losses, calamity, adversity, persecution.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous. Psalms 34:19.

PERSECU'TION, noun The act or practice of persecuting; the infliction of pain, punishment or death upon others unjustly, particularly for adhering to a religious creed or mode of worship, either by way of penalty or for compelling them to renounce their principles. Historians enumerate ten persecutions suffered by the Christians, beginning with that of Nero, adjective D. 31, and ending with that of Diocletian, adjective D. 303 to 313.

1. The state of being persecuted.

Our necks are under persecution; we labor and have no rest. Lamentations 5:5.

REBU'KE, verb transitive [See Pack and Impeach.]

1. To chide; to reprove; to reprehend for a fault; to check by reproof.

The proud he tam'd, the penitent he cheer'd, not to rebuke the rich offender fear'd.

Thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbor. Leviticus 19:17.

2. To check or restrain.

The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan. Zechariah 3:2. Isaiah 17:13.

3. To chasten; to punish; to afflict for correction.

O Lord, rebuke me not in thine anger. Psalms 6:1.

4. To check; to silence.

Master, rebuke thy disciples. Luke 19:39.

5. To check; to heal.

And he stood over her and rebuked the fever. Luke 4:35.

6. To restrain; to calm.

He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea. Matthew 8:26.

REBU'KE, noun

1. A chiding; reproof for faults; reprehension.

Why bear you these rebukes and answer not?

2. In Scripture, chastisement; punishment; affliction for the purpose of restraint and correction. Ezekiel 5:15. Hosea 5.

3. In low language, any kind of check.

To suffer rebuke to endure the reproach and persecution of men. Jeremiah 15:15.

To be without rebuke to live without giving cause of reproof or censure; to be blameless.

To answer your question, Tonya, I think rebuke is more of a verbal warning or condemnation, whereas chastisement is actual punishment.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:12:59 PM by Jeanne »

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 09:43:16 PM »
Also the word 'Purgeth' is used.

John 15 King James Version (KJV)
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Matthew 7 King James Version (KJV)
5 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

If the fruit production starts to dwindle then the branch will be purged.  If the branch doesn't respond to the purging then it will be cut off. 

Being cut off from the vine they can not produce fruit and as in verse 20 above we will be able to recognise those who have been cut off from the vine by the fruit they yield. 
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Masha

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:46:28 AM »
Indeed Jeanne, my post was cut off, and I did not notice.
I stated in the missing part that I think my interpretation is more like tribulation or indeed affliction. Especially from the dictionary, it seems chastisement is a responce to error and is punishment.
Im sorry,. I didnt mean to cause confusion.