Author Topic: Born and raised Roman Catholic in the Philippines  (Read 4275 times)

i7sharp

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
  • Edification: -5
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dido
  • Belief: Other
Born and raised Roman Catholic in the Philippines
« on: October 16, 2018, 04:18:14 AM »
I have now and then browsed through various articles in CLE for a few years now. But it was only a few minutes ago when I became curious if anything about the Philippines has been mentioned in the site. That is what got me led to the forum.
I moved with my wife and our three very young daughters to the U.S. when I was 40.
Am now a grandfather to eight grandchildren - the youngest is an 18-month-old boy whom I babysit together with my wife (also born and raised Catholic in the Philippines).
We are now both born-again and in our 70s.
I am "Dido" by most people. Short for "Candido."
I have used the handle "i7sharp" for some years now.
i (love/want/desire/aim ... to be) sharp - but am more often dull than sharp. <g>
God bless!

Masha

Re: Born and raised Roman Catholic in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 04:50:48 AM »
Hi Dido, it would be interesting to know how you came from catholic to be born again in Christ. I have relatives in the Phillipines that are catholic, I'd love to see them also repent and be saved.
The introduce yourself category is for us (members) to get to know you a little better so that we know where you came from and where you are. Maybe you can tell us more about that. ...
Welcome to the forum!
Masha

i7sharp

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
Masha, thank you sooo much for asking. I can probably talk non-stop to tell of God's lovingkindness to me (despite myself). But I am babysitting my grandson, CJ, right now and don't have much time to talk.
Meanwhile, can you tell me where your relatives in the Philippines are living? Which barangay, for example, if you know it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barangay
God bless!

Dee Babbitt

• BANNED
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 29
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dee
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 03:15:24 AM »
Dido, welcome to the forum.  Good to have you here.

Thankfully, I too, was blessed by God to be born again and escape the Roman Catholic church.

This is a wonderful place to be, with true Christians, and being of like mind.

God Bless.

Masha

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »
Hi Dido, they live in Bacolod. I have never managed to travel there. Maybe I will one day:-)
How nice to read that you babysit your grandson. we have 4 children. How old is your grandson?

i7sharp

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »
Thank you, Masha; thank you, Dee!
This "non-Filipino" can give you a very good idea about Filipinos and the Philippines - and make you want to visit any of the (at last count) 7,641 - yes, 7,641 islands there. :)
http://www.becomingfilipino.com/

Now, to answer some questions ...
I became born again about twenty years ago - in California.
I had been going through some tribulations and then one late dark afternoon while in my car waiting for the traffic light to turn green, I uttered for the first time in my life:
"I praise you, Lord!" I really did not have reasons to praise Him because circumstances seemed so dark but I believed in my heart God deserved to be praised regardless of what situation I am in. God has since enabled me to know Him more. He has been so good to me and my family ... despite myself.
My wife and I have three daughters from whom we have eight grandkids - the youngest being 1-1/2 and named Christiano

God bless!!!

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
Re: Born and raised Roman Catholic i)n the Philippines
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
Okay, now I have to ask; have you ever actually repented (humbly admitted to God that you have broken His law and begged for forgiveness)?

Please see this article on repentance. http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/repent.php

I'm sorry, but just praising the Lord is not necessarily evidence of being saved.

i7sharp

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
"God has since enabled me to know Him more. He has been so good to me and my family ... despite myself."

Jeanne,
Part of what the Lord has enabled to know is the need for repentance.

by the way, let me take the opportunity to share an observation regarding http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/repent.php
In the verses quoted, one finds "Holy Ghost" seven times.
In the commentary, one finds "Spirit" many times but no mention (I could be wrong) of the Holy Ghost.
"Holy Ghost" occurs 90 times in the Bible, the KJV.
"Holy Spirit" (as spelled) occurs once - in Luke 11:13
Probably worth discussing, if necessary, in another thread?

Have a blessed day!

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
Dido, is there are particular complaint about that article you'd like to make? That's fine if there is, but please don't do it in a roundabout way; be direct. Thanks.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

i7sharp

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »
Christopher, no complaint at all.

It was only recently (less than a year or so ago) that I noticed that most Christians, including KJVOs (of which I am one), say "Holy Spirit" far more often than "Holy Ghost."
Is my observation correct? If so, isn't it worth discussing for our edification?

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 04:41:08 PM »
The Holy Spirit and the Holy Ghost are the same thing. This is just my opinion, but I think we prefer the term 'Holy Spirit' because of the connotations our modern society has put on the word 'ghost.' I don't think it's a major issue, however.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »
Christopher, no complaint at all.

It was only recently (less than a year or so ago) that I noticed that most Christians, including KJVOs (of which I am one), say "Holy Spirit" far more often than "Holy Ghost."
Is my observation correct? If so, isn't it worth discussing for our edification?

Yes it is, and I also agree with Jeanne. It is just what we were grown up used to hearing and what certain words are associated with. I do, sometimes, use the phrase "Holy Ghost" in my writing, but I don't use it near as often as "Holy Spirit," because of the misinterpretations the pagan world puts on the word "ghost," which is nothing more than a spirit, but that they falsely believe that those spirits are people who died, which is a lie. Therefore, knowing that those outside the church may occasionally read or listen to one of the teachings I've done, and that in hopes they might be saved through the understanding of Christ, I choose certain words for certain occasions depending on who I'm talking to.

The "Holy Ghost" and "Holy Spirit" are the same God, and mean the same thing.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

i7sharp

• BANNED
  • Novice (Forum LVL 1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 06:23:46 PM »
Yes, I too believe they are the same Person.
Have always believed so.