Author Topic: (ARTICLE) The Biblical Understanding of Fasting  (Read 1743 times)

Offline rollingh

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 1
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Timothy
  • Belief: Christianity
Re: (ARTICLE) The Biblical Understanding of Fasting
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »

I have been afflicted with type 2 diabetes for over 12 years , I take oral meds and have lost 50 pounds since I was diagnosed . I have educated myself on this disease and have had my sugar under 100 mg/dl. last week , however my sugar will go up if I eat too much and of the wrong food , If I want to drink a carbonated drink ,then it will be seltzer water , flavored with squeezed lemon or lime juice and sweetened with stevia or just drink it non sweetened. I now weigh 170 from 220 pound 12 years ago. I feel the need to fast , not for my health but for the temptations and evil sinful thoughts. I am going to make a go at it and do it the way the Jesus instructed it in the scriptures .

(Matthew 6:16-18) " Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  {17} But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;  {18} That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly."

I may have to keep an eye on my blood sugar , I may have to consume a little cheese or some nuts , but I want to do it proper , if not , then I make another go at it . As i stated before , I went to to Jesus in prayer to repent and to clean me up . since then I have not fallen to temptation , I have stumbled some , but I never gave in to temptation of a sin I struggled with for most of my life . I am still standing and I want to keep on standing . Jesus died form my sins and for that I need to keep on standing and follow his commandments . If I need to be corrected then let me know , this why I joined this forum, to help me with my walk .

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 37
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
Fasting is quite safe for those with Type 2 Diabetes so long as you are not taking any medication that lowers your blood glucose level.  Without medication gluconeogenesis will easily maintain the correct blood glucose level and the more regularly you fast as well as eating a correct and restricted diet then it is quite likely your body will become sensitive to glucose again and you will no longer be diabetic.

Before doing this, do consult with your doctor first and hopefully the doctor will be very
pleased that you are making such changes in life.
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 37
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
Typo.  Sensitive to insulin again.
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL7) Veteran
  • Edification: 42
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline AngelG

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 0
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Angel
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 03:03:15 AM »

I have been afflicted with type 2 diabetes for over 12 years , I take oral meds and have lost 50 pounds since I was diagnosed . I have educated myself on this disease and have had my sugar under 100 mg/dl. last week , however my sugar will go up if I eat too much and of the wrong food , If I want to drink a carbonated drink ,then it will be seltzer water , flavored with squeezed lemon or lime juice and sweetened with stevia or just drink it non sweetened. I now weigh 170 from 220 pound 12 years ago. I feel the need to fast , not for my health but for the temptations and evil sinful thoughts. I am going to make a go at it and do it the way the Jesus instructed it in the scriptures .

(Matthew 6:16-18) " Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  {17} But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;  {18} That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly."

I may have to keep an eye on my blood sugar , I may have to consume a little cheese or some nuts , but I want to do it proper , if not , then I make another go at it . As i stated before , I went to to Jesus in prayer to repent and to clean me up . since then I have not fallen to temptation , I have stumbled some , but I never gave in to temptation of a sin I struggled with for most of my life . I am still standing and I want to keep on standing . Jesus died form my sins and for that I need to keep on standing and follow his commandments . If I need to be corrected then let me know , this why I joined this forum, to help me with my walk .

Hi RollingH - Just wanted to say I am strongly encouraged by what you are doing. I give glory to God for His hands in your and the testimony that you bring with it  :).

Offline rollingh

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »
Thank you AngelG , I am going thru struggles but I still have not fallen , but I am feeling  guilty , feeling fear and  depressed for what I have done in the past .the pride , the anger , the boasting , plus many more sinful acts . I am glad you came to repentance, keep strong and resist the temptation of the enemy and don't be deceived by others .

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 36
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »
Hi Timothy,

Just as a head's up, depending on how toxic your body is and how much of the wrong foods you've been eating, you might expect some nasty headaches for the first few days. Speaking from experience, I had a migraine that wouldn't quit and wouldn't have been able to eat even if I hadn't purposely been fasting...

Offline rollingh

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 10:52:12 PM »
Thank you Jeanne for the info , There is a lot bad ingredients in the food now days and I read the labels on package foods and I can see where a person can run into trouble if they are not knowing what they are really eating , even I can make those mistakes .