Author Topic: (ARTICLE) The Biblical Understanding of Fasting  (Read 961 times)

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 34
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christianity
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15
CLE Website || Free Audio Teachings || Free Video Teachings

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
  • Edification: 27
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
Re: (ARTICLE) The Biblical Understanding of Fasting
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »
I wonder if it's just me that can appreciate the irony of you posting this on Thanksgiving when most of America is stuffing itself like a turkey... Did you do this on purpose?  8)

Offline Dedrick

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL2) Sojourner
  • Edification: 9
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dedrick
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:45:43 PM »
Thanksgiving article indeed.

Offline JohnFelt

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: John
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 07:04:22 PM »
I had a laugh at your picture! Haha, but now a days I'm starting to see that more and more.
Ecclesiastes 5:2, Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:31:42 PM »
I didn't do it on purpose, I just happened to finish it up this morning. I wouldn't have known it was Thanksgiving unless Lorraine reminded me.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. -2Ti 2:15

saneamd

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
Can you judge someone by the way he is looking?

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 08:28:19 PM »
saneamd == There is an "Introduce Yourself" section, that is there so you can introduce yourself. You selected "Christianity" on your profile, but we have no idea who you are or what you believe, and when people like you come into our forum and start posting like you're doing, it's 99% they're here to cause trouble, and end up getting kicked out for contention and railing. If that's not you, then by all means, let us know by introducing yourself, but if that is you, then you'd probably be best in leaving now before things elevate in the wrong way.

You also need to take time to learn what proper righteous judgment is in Scripture:
http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/judge.php

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »
I have a book I bought many years ago (that I never got around to reading, like most of the books I buy) called Fasting For Spiritual Breakthrough by Elmer R. Towns.

I dug it out and took a quick look at it out of curiosity after reading your article, and here is what I found just on the copyright page:

'All Scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from the New King James Version...'

Other versions used: CEV, TLB, NIV. (Looking further through the book the KJV is also sometimes used.)

Opposite that page is this:

WARNING:

The fasts suggested in this book are not for everyone. Consult your physician before beginning. Expectant mothers, diabetics, and others with a history of medical problems can enter the spirit of fasting while remaining on essential diets. While fasting is healthful for many, the nature of God would not command a physical exercise that would harm people physically or emotionally.

Now, I don't know if he actually believes this or just put it in to avoid possible legal liabilities, but either way, I did indeed see this as a 'warning' though probably not in the way he intended. It goes on to describe nine different types of fasts and the supposed purpose of each one, but I decided not to waste my time reading about them...

Offline creationliberty

• Administrator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:56:46 AM »
That's obviously to protect himself from lawsuit. He brings up the issue of diabetics, but they got themselves into that condition through gluttony. The problem is the AMA has taught everyone that's its some sort of incurable genetic disease, which is not true at all.
Again, I highly recommend the following documentary; I don't agree at all with the spiritual conversations and beliefs that are presented in it, but the facts about eating are exactly correct.
Simply Raw Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days

I frankly have no clue what would happen to a diabetic if they fasted. I'm sure everyone here has an opinion, but if someone that far gone prayed to the Lord God to do something like that, I believe even a diabetic can do it when we consider that what they keep feeding themselves is causing the problem in the first place.

Offline Jeanne

• Global Moderator
  • (LVL 6) Dedicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 02:55:34 AM »
Please correct me if you know I'm wrong, Chris, but I believe only Type II (adult onset) diabetes is caused by overeating over the course of a person's lifetime. Type I usually shows up in children at a fairly young age, and I don't think they're necessarily overweight (although they often BECOME overweight after the diabetes shows up). That video you posted also said that Type I is very rarely even improved by that diet, although there was one guy in that group who did have Type I and showed some improvement, but he could not be cured.

Offline TonyaJ

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL4) Experienced
  • Edification: 1
    • View Profile
    • The Chicken Whisperer
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
That is exactly what I was trying to say on Facebook.  Almost EVERYTHING is curable with God-given herbs, vitamins, diet, and exercise.  I probably would have become a full diabetic myself if Chris and Lorraine had not shared the raw diet information with me.  My sugar is perfectly normal today.  Fasting has been instrumental for my spiritual life.  I hope to incorporate it for my health too.

BTW, one person that Chris had to rebuke immediately started posting tons of masonry pics afterward.  It is really sad. Several people tried to contact me.  I imagine it is not to see me for suggestions for healing, so I refused the connections.  All of this because of one (really great, I might add!) demotivational poster!  Really?? People are so defensive and not willing to allow the Word of God to change their lives. It makes me sad.  It makes me feel sick to my stomach.  It makes me want to fast, LOL!
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 2 Cor. 6:17

Offline anvilhauler

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL5) Seasoned
  • Edification: 31
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
I frankly have no clue what would happen to a diabetic if they fasted.

The Type II diabetic that fasts is just like you and me. 

When they don't have the calorie intake their body uses fat as its energy source.  There are organs in the body though that can not use fat as a fuel and can only use glucose (brain cells, red blood corpuscles, kidneys) and so the body also manufactures glucose from other materials in the body.  Glucose is made from the glycerol "backbone" that is a component of fats (triacylglyceride) and the three fatty acids (where the tri comes in) are used as fuel by muscle cells etc.  The other way the body makes glucose is by breaking down muscle and other proteins and converting certain amino acids into glucose.

The Type II diabetic does all of this just the same as anyone else.  Usually they are a Type II diabetic because they are overweight and their body has become insensitive to insulin.  The fasting is what they need to do a whole lot more of and also eating food that has a much lower glycemic index to stop big sugar spikes in their blood.  As in the video, when they start controlling their diet their body will usually become sensitive to insulin again and they will no longer be a Type II diabetic.

The Type I diabetic can not be cured by diet.  As in the video they will need less insulin but that is only because they are eating less food.  The Type I diabetic could only do that for a given length of time until they died because they still need a certain number of calories a day to survive and will still always need insulin injections to stay alive.  Type I diabetes used to be a death sentence.  The curse of Adam.

Almost EVERYTHING is curable with God-given herbs, vitamins, diet, and exercise.

It certainly helps to look after one's heath as much as possible with God-given herbs, vitamins, diet, and exercise but also important to be caring of those who have clinical chemical pathological disorders of which there are many and no amount of what the person does will enable them to overcome those problems.  e.g. Type I diabetes, Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD deficiency) etc etc.

There are however no metabolic disorders that cause a person to be overweight due to fat storage (overweight due to fluid retention not included).
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Offline JohnFelt

• Born-Again Christian
  • (LVL1) Novice
  • Edification: 4
    • View Profile
  • First Name: John
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 06:14:23 PM »
Yes I shared it on FB, and I just got a comment on it, I knew if I shared it I would have a lot more blowback than his other demotivational post, but I know the fear man bringeth a snare.

Proverbs 29:25
25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.

So hopefully at least one person could read that and bear good fruit from it.
Ecclesiastes 5:2, Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.