Author Topic: Acts 23  (Read 2592 times)

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Acts 23
« on: July 12, 2018, 06:35:07 PM »
Acts 23:12 And when it was day, certain of the Jews banded together, and bound themselves under a curse, saying that they would neither eat nor drink till they had killed Paul. 13 And they were more than forty which had made this conspiracy. 14 And they came to the chief priests and elders, and said, We have bound ourselves under a great curse, that we will eat nothing until we have slain Paul.

I was reading this earlier and just got to wondering; since they never got a chance to get to Paul, did these men break their vow or would they have let themselves starve to death?

I know the Bible is silent on this and the answer to this question will not be found there, but it got me curious, nevertheless...

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 448
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Re: Acts 23
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
They break their word on all sorts of matters; it would be nothing for them to break their word on this one too. However, if they didn't keep their word, then we don't know what punishment God would have planned for them.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:56 PM »
Well, it said they bound themselves under a curse, so that's why I wondered... Now I'm wondering what the curse was...

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 16
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Thomas
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:04 PM »
Just out of curiosity, when it says "bound themselves under a course" (v.12) and "we have bound ourselves under a great curse" (v.14) is that similar to taking an oath? Or swearing?

This was copied from the noun section not verb section, because in this context it is used as a noun
CURSE, n.
1. Malediction; the expression of a wish of evil to another.
Shimei--who cured me with a grievous curse. 1 Kings 2.
2. Imprecation of evil.
They entered into a curse, and into an oath. Nehemiah 10.
3. Affliction; torment; great vexation.
I will make this city a curse to all nations. Jeremiah 26.
4. Condemnation; sentence of divine vengeance on sinners.
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law. Galatians 3.
5. Denunciation of evil.
The priest shall write all these curses in a book. Numbers 5

Check out example 2 from Nehemiah- it says they entered into a curse, and into an oath,
The definition of curse seems generally bad, but if you read Nehemiah chapter two starting at verse 28 it seems like it was an oath to follow the law of the Lord, then I saw Galatians 3:10
 Galatians 3:10, 13 (KJV)  For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Also conspiracy in v.13
CONSPIRACY, n. [L. See Conspire.]
1. A combination of men for an evil purpose; an agreement between two or more persons, to commit some crime in concert; particularly, a combination to commit treason, or excite sedition or insurrection against the government of a state; a plot; as a conspiracy against the life of a king; a conspiracy against the government.
More than forty had made this conspiracy.  Acts 23.

I know that in context the definition of curse in acts 23, Nehemiah 2, and Galatians 3 are different definitions but it did seem relevant given the context of Nehemiah 2 and how it said they took an oath
Just something to think about...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:54:16 PM by ThomasHGW »
The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.   -Psalms 119:72

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 12:07:58 AM »
That's exactly what they meant. In the Old Testament, it was a common thing to say, 'May God do so and more to me if I do not...'

2 Samuel 3:35 And when all the people came to cause David to eat meat while it was yet day, David sware, saying, So do God to me, and more also, if I taste bread, or ought else, till the sun be down.