Author Topic: Does the Title of the Pope Add Up to 666?  (Read 3578 times)

Jeanne

• Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
Does the Title of the Pope Add Up to 666?
« on: July 08, 2018, 02:42:15 AM »
It has been mentioned before that if you add up all the letters in the title of the pope that translate into Roman numerals, the total comes out to 666. That title is Vicarius Filii Dei, which is Latin for Vicar of the Son of God. (Incidentally, the Anglican church still uses the term 'vicar' to refer to their clergy, but that's beside the point.)

Now the original statement is only true if you use the old Roman font and spell this title Vicarivs Filii Dei. (If you read a 1611 version of the KJB, the j's are always i's, and the letters u and v are frequently [nearly always] interchanged.) Here's how it works:

V = 5
I = 1
C= 100
A = 0
R = 0
I = 1
V = 5
S = 0

F = 0
I = 1
L = 50
I = 1
I = 1

D = 500
E = 0
I = 1

So, you have 500 + 100 + 50 + (2 x 5) + (6 x 1) = 666

No great earth-shattering revelation here, but it IS interesting...

Hakim Mohamad

Re: Does the Title of the Pope Add Up to 666?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »
Like you said, it's interesting but not too surprising.
Yet I wouldn't draw the conclusion that the man of sin will be a catholic pope. There are quite a lot of other people who's numerals of their names and titles add Up to 666. I heard the same about Prince Harry for example. There are several Videos that are breaking it down, but I'm not into gematria and possibly they are all wrong.
What I can agree with ist that the pope ist an antichrist like many others are and we're before him. We'll have to wait and See, If there's anything special about this one.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Edification: 447
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
I had mentioned that once to everyone in our church that I was looking into it, but I ditched it when I found out the full facts about the letters. I mean, I guess I could argue the old Roman font, but it seemed a bit of a stretch, and I thought there was a lot more factual information to prove the wickedness than the numbers. Maybe if someone gives me a more solid argument I might reconsider, but for now, I think I'll leave it alone.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »
Just to be clear, Hakim, this has nothing to do with gematria. These are just actual Roman numerals and how they add up. But like I said, this really doesn't necessarily mean anything, either. I wouldn't even touch anything to do with gematria.

Hakim Mohamad

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 01:24:48 PM »
Well, I thought gematria was just giving a numerical value each letter of the alphabet and adding them up. But like I said, I never got interested and didn't bother to look it up.
So maybe I called it gematria when it was something different. If so, I apologize for the minor error of mis-using a Term of that I didn't know the true meaning.
But like I said I'm Not into whatever it is and I didn't try to pretend that I knew anything about it. I Just voiced my Personal opinion about the subject, just Like you did when you said that you don't consider it to be big news.
So there's No reason to begin an argument.

Jeanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
I wasn't trying to start an argument, Hakim. Just explaining the difference. But, since you actually don't know what gematria is, I happened across a video explaining it some time ago and watched just enough of it to get the picture. Basically, in the Hebrew and Greek languages, numbers were assigned to different letters. I'm not sure if this was because they had no numerals in their languages and this was how they actually expressed numbers, or if it was something else. I didn't pay THAT close attention and I didn't watch the whole thing. Just enough to get a basic understanding of what it was because I had heard the term before, too, and wanted to know what it was.

Now that we have all that out of the way, we can let go of the whole thing.  :D

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 06:20:45 AM »

We can almost let it go, except for one tiny part where the gematria will quite likely come up again in the future.

Revelation 13 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 17 and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. 18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Suelong88

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
Isn't this like numerology and divination?  Not going down that rabbit hole...

anvilhauler

• CLE Church Members
  • Dedicated (Forum LVL 7)
  • Edification: 151
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Kevin
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 04:31:24 PM »
Hi Susan

Thanks for querying that. 

Except in this case this is something that people are told that it is acceptable to do and of course God will not lead people into sin.

When the time comes this person will be clearly identified by some means of their name being associated with the number six hundred threescore and six.
And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the Lord, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.  Micah 5:7 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)