Author Topic: Day of judgment question  (Read 3114 times)

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 16
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Thomas
  • Belief: Christian
Day of judgment question
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:05:02 PM »
I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction in the bible for understanding what we can know about the day of judgment. I am familiar with
Matthew 12:36-37 (KJV)  But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

And Romans 14:10-12 (KJV)  But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

But I dont really know a lot more beyond that.
There is this guy I work with who has been trying to tell me that your pastor will be there with you on judgement day standing next to you. And that "I better know who my pastor is." And I'm trying to tell him that that doesn't sound right and I need to see some scripture to back that up. it sounds to me like he's trying to ride into heaven with his pastor or like he would be able to say to God "well I only did blank because my pastor said I could" but he quickly says no thats not it at all. I already know that he holds his pastor to a very high level of respect. He has literally said to me "it's not my place to judge or correct him even if he's teaching something wrong" (on a topic about if he was teaching in error.)
So I try asking what is the purpose of your pastor being there with you on judgment day and I never really get a straight answer. He keeps talking about some verse that says that pastors are doubly judged because of the position they're in.
The problem is that I disagree with him, but I am open to listening to him if he'll present a sound argument,  but I don't really know a lot about it either, from what I can tell, I am going to have to answer for everything I've ever said thought or done and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near anyone who would try to blame someone else for the sin they comitted against the Lord God.

I also didn't want to go to Google and try to look it up because I have a feeling I would be sorting through the same kind of false doctrine that I'm trying to avoid.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:11:54 PM by ThomasHGW »
The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.   -Psalms 119:72

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Day of judgment question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:21:58 PM »
I thought to answer this, but I thought better to convince this man of his sin. Obviously, he must be living in his sin if he thinks he can take on another mediator. I mean, you can go into the day of the Lord I suppose, but discussing the details of such things with those who don't have understanding and follow a pastor instead of Christ; he's putting the cart before the horse.
For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
-1Pe 4:3-6

(i.e. quick and dead means believers and unbelievers)
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
I would recommend you reading this article explaining why respecting persons is a sin for the next time you have a discussion with this guy:

http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/respect.php

Then you can have a look at this one about the 'judge not lest ye be judged' verse that so many try to hit you with:

http://www.creationliberty.com/articles/judge.php

Your answer to him when he told you your pastor would be standing next to you on judgement day was spot on; i.e. 'Show me where it says that in the Bible.' I would challenge him with that one on any other thing he tries to tell you about it, too.

I admit that I haven't really studied the judgement in very much detail, myself. I've read Revelation several times but there's still a lot in it that I don't understand. Revelation 20 talks about the judgement, though.

Hakim Mohamad

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 02:50:29 AM »
I have heard that Idea, too that the "pastor" has a special responsible before God. I think the truth ist that all of US have this extra responsibility, especially If we decide to teach our congregation. But if someone puts himself in the Position of being the only one who teaches, he will probably have to face a lot of judgement for every Person that he din't properly warn from his inequity.

Yet every person will Receiver judgement dir their own inequity If they don't repent.

Hezekiel 33, 1:11

1Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 2Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman: 3If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people; 4Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head. 5He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul. 6But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

7So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me. 8When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. 9Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

10Therefore, O thou son of man, speak unto the house of Israel; Thus ye speak, saying, If our transgressions and our sins be upon us, and we pine away in them, how should we then live? 11Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Hakim Mohamad

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 03:23:22 AM »
ThomasHGW
You could give your coleague these verses and tell him, that his "pastor" will definitely bei held accountable, if he doesn't properly warn people of sin, but that this doesn't mean that If nobody warns them and they keep on sinning and won't repent, that they would be spared, because nobody told them.

Ruth

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 08:19:20 AM »
-Thomas

1) When he says about pastors being doubly judged he could possibly be referring to James 3:1 out of context.

2) As for the Pastor standing there with them at the judgement, does he mean his pastor is going to give an account to God in his place?

If so, wouldn't Romans 14:12 go against that?:

So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

3) I'm not sure if this is what the guy you work with is referring to when he says you 'better know who your pastor is', and I thnk this has been touched on, but there is a false teaching out there that says christians must have some sort of 'spiritual covering' - other than our Lord Jesus Christ- like a pastor or elder.

ThomasHGW

• CLE Church Members
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 16
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Thomas
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
I have tried talking to him about respecting persons and judging others and where the bible talksabout it, but he just won't listen. He holds what his pastor says and teaches to a higher power. It's almost like I tell him something from the bible and if his pastor doesn't agree with the bible, then he doesn't. He says he trusts that God has put people into positions to teach. That's when I'll talk about rebuke and the purpose of rebuke and he says he isn't in any kind of position to be rebuking a pastor...
It's sad because I care for the guy and want to believe that's he's saved. but there are serious problems with his philosophy.
I can tell that he thinks I'm just some young kid who doesn't know what I'm talking about, I have been correcting him on something and he'll say to me that it sound like I really want to learn and that his pastor is so good at what he does.
The one thing that worries me is he talks about the "Christian edification complex" and the "mature Christian growth complex"
And it has to do with the levels of spiritual understanding or something and it seems to me like an excuse for him to look down on someone half his age (me) and not take me seriously.
Anyways, I didn't mean to make this post about him specifically, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to tell him I'm not interested in any of his pastors false doctrines and move on.
Ruth- you're point 3 sounds like what going on to me.
But they have to take scripture out of context to justify that.
The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.   -Psalms 119:72

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
Oh, well then the answer is simple.
And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
-Mat 10:14

(i.e. sanctify yourself http://creationliberty.com/articles/division.php)
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Jephte21

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »
Hi Hakim,

The scripture you quoted above was a commandment given especially to Ezekiel to warn the children of Israel of their wickedness.That doesn't mean that if we don't warn people of their sin that their blood will be required at our hand. But we have to understand that this is God attitude toward the people that he have given understanding of his word that they have a responsibility to teach the word to others.

Just for better understanding you can listen to our first half teaching on Ezekiel: Ezekiel 33-34

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »
I was reading that response, and I was thinking, "Wow, that was a really good response to that point. Have I taught that wrong in the past?" Then I clicked the link you provided and realized I did teach that. I didn't remember. Heh.

Jephte21

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:51:58 AM »
Yes, you did teach it right. I almost quotes you word for word though. :D