Author Topic: Someone Claiming to Be "Cindy Landon" Threatens Lawsuit  (Read 7331 times)

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 443
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
  • Belief: Christian
Someone Claiming to Be "Cindy Landon" Threatens Lawsuit
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »
For those of you who may not remember, Cindy Landon is Michael Landon's widow (3rd wife). Someone wrote me under her name; I don't believe it's the real Cindy Landon. They used a fake email address, and so it's likely that wicked woman who made that Facebook page who is hiding like a coward (and lying about her identity) to try and cause trouble. The entire letter shows the same pattern as her posts, namely, vague accusations without any specific details.

Remember folks, it's not me she hates; it's the Christian God of the Bible she hates. If she loved the Word of God, she would love what I'm teaching. However, I did go ahead and respond to the letter nonetheless, just in case I'm wrong, and it really was Cindy Landon, that way there's a public record of my response. Here it is:

I am writing in regards to the videos you have put up on YouTube about my late husband, Michael Landon
I have contacted my lawyers over the false information and the slanderous content of your videos.

If you find anything concerning the factual statements in our teaching, either said or written, that is inaccurate, meaning that my quotes, references, or Scripture is wrong, then please let me know. If you are unable to find an error in the quotes, references, or Scripture, then everything I have presented is under freedom of speech and fair use, and thus, you will be the one guilty of libel/slander. Again, if there is any statement that you consider to be false, list out what it is, and I'll take a second look at it.

We will be seeking action against you and your institution.
You have liberty in the U.S. to bring lawsuits against anyone you choose, but you have to present something substantial to a judge in order for the case to be heard, or it will be thrown out before it ever goes to court. For example, these kinds of accusations are brought against media outlets all the time by disgruntled citizens, and are often thrown out on the basis of lack of evidence. What a judge will be looking for is, for example, what is contained in letters such as this, where you clearly state your accusation of slander against me, but no specific details as to what exactly you are claiming is false.

I'm not sure why you are seeking to harm the name of a man who's been gone for 26 years but it certainly is going to be dealt with.
Cindy, Eugene harmed his own name with his actions; I didn't have to do anything but tell the truth. If you feel you want to push the matter, again, you're welcome to do so, but certainly you must understand what's going to happen.
I am a Christian that heads up a church of about 15 people, and after almost 10 years working ministry, we only have maybe 100-200 online people across the world that even listen to my teachings on a regular basis. When you bring this to court, all that's going to do is give us more exposure (i.e. more people will listen to our teachings), and then Michael Landon's sins will be exposed in a much wider radius before likelihood that your case gets thrown out for lack of evidence. If you think that's worth it over some nobody like me, who no one's ever heard of and almost no one listens to, that's your call, but perhaps the wisest course of action is to first tell me specifically what you consider to be "slander" before burning a lot of money in lawyer fees.

Do you even think of the feelings of others and the family he left behind?
Absolutely! Thank you for asking. That's why I made this teaching. I love you enough to tell you the truth, and the truth is the Michael Landon ended up in hell with his hopes in false new-age doctrines. The Bible clearly states:
He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
-John 5:12

Eugene Orowitz never repented of his sin, and he did not believe in the Christian God of the Bible. The Lord Jesus Christ very clearly stated that those who will not come to repentance (i.e. grief and godly sorrow of wrongdoing), and be converted, will perish (i.e. they end up in hell when they die).
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
-Luke 13:3
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
-Revelation 20:14-15

It doesn't matter how you personally feel about it, God's Word is settled forever.
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
-2Pe 3:9
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
-Acts 3:19

I am glad I'm able to bring this message to you personally, and I thank you for contacting me so I had the opportunity. It's too late for Eugene, but Cindy, it's not too late for you; there's still hope that you can be saved before God's judgment.
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
-Heb 9:27

I pray that your whole family would come to know this message, that there is a coming judgment on your sins. You must repent, and be born again in Christ. Despite your threats, I come to you in peace. I pray the Christian God of the Bible would show mercy to your family, and bless you all continually with all your needs. I hope you have a wonderful day.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Someone Claiming to Be "Cindy Landon" Threatens Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
I was wondering; I'm not sure about the laws in the U.S. over such matters, but isn't posing online as someone else illegal in some fashion? Lorraine was wondering the same thing; if that might considered identity theft to be posing as another person and speaking on their behalf without their permission? I was just wondering because, if that woman does keep an eye on this forum, she needs to know so she doesn't do something really foolish and get herself in trouble.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Masha

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »
 remember:
 Ephesians 6:12, For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
    13, Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
    14, Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
    15, And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
    16, Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
    17, And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
    18, Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

I truly don't know how this would work legally in the USA. I can, on the other hand clearly see the above take place. It is wise to concentrate on whats really important, not get destracted by a lawsuit threat.

Dee Babbitt

• BANNED
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
  • Edification: 29
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Dee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »
Chris and Lorraine, I found this:

"Slipping into a celebrity

Jeanne

• Edification: 125
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Jeanne
  • Belief: Other
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »
Dee, your post got cut off. I've found that whenever you try to paste in something from another source, you have to manually replace all the apostrophes or it won't show up.

Dee Babbitt

• BANNED
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »
oops...   :(
let me try again...thank you, Jeanne  :)

Chris and Lorraine, this is what I found:

"Slipping into a celebrity's voice to spew vitriol could also be a way of defaming that celeb - or a way of elevating a troll's own words.  If a random unknown person says something nasty, it’s shocking.
 It seems very shocking if it’s coming out of the words of a known person,” said Donath.

Pressure from celebrities led California to update its penal code in 2010 to specifically criminalize impersonation on the Internet. The law states that posing as a celebrity “for the purposes of injuring, defrauding ... deceiving another person, or of obtaining a benefit” is a misdemeanor, punishable by a $1,000 fine or up to a year in prison.

While the California law is stricter than that of most other states, there’s still room for interpretation as to when it has been violated."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/instagram-celebrity-impersonators_us_55bbc26be4b0d4f33a02c3d7

CLE is the only place I've found where we can come to hear the True Word of God.  I, and many others, are thankful and love hearing the Truth.  I pray the person emailing you will have their eyes opened and be brought to repentance, with grief and godly sorrow, and be saved.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:02:04 PM by Dee Babbitt »

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 08:01:34 AM »
Wow. Thanks for posting that. I had my suspicions, but I didn't know there were strict laws against impersonation for threats. Perhaps that's why that woman removed her facebook group and hid... that's probably the wisest thing she's done thus far.

Dee Babbitt

• BANNED
  • Commoner (Forum LVL 3)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 02:14:17 PM »
Yes, she is wise to run. 
Each state has different laws against this crime.  Take a look at Texas.

"According to Section 33.07 of the Texas Penal Code, the offense of online impersonation is defined as an act that includes using the name, persona or online identity of another person in order to harass, intimidate or otherwise threaten any person....

...The bottom line is, posing as someone else online without that person’s consent is a criminal offense.

This is a third degree felony crime, punishable by:

Up to ten years in prison
A fine of up to $10,000
A ban from using electronic devices with Internet access"

https://sharpcriminalattorney.com/computer-crimes/4971/online-impersonation-the-little-brother-of-identity-theft/

Tristan David Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
That is quite the punishment, having recently moved over here from zimbabwe, i knew that there were tough laws on speech(the irony that i came from a country where political activism(including perceived) is a great way to end up in a torture camp(mauling by dogs is especially favoured in the one close to the diamond mines in gwanda, or so i am told), only to find this place has more restrictions, is not lost on me), did not expect US speech laws to be such like, i do hope that women you spoke of would come to repentance of her actions, perhaps realising how much trouble she could be in will wake her up.

creationliberty

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
That is one of the very few speech laws that I believe is justified. Without these laws in place to punish wicked women like the one who sent me that letter, then people would be free to commit acts of terrorism, and she's probably ignorant that's what she did. Look up the definition of terrorism; it means "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce."

Tristan David Smith

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:34:16 PM »
Perhaps, myself, i don't actually see anything in freedom of speech, so much as by the highmindedness of say the self styled internet skeptic community(i use these terms somewhat loosely) our consideration that our thoughts must conform to God's will as well as our words and actions, would be considered "tyrannical" now i have not heard them say this, rather this is examining what they say they hold as virtue and a consideration of God's law, but as we well know, where God is there is true liberty, but being flesh, the things of the spirit are foolishness to them.

I am somewhat nervous though, as over here due to the sheer apathy and general disinterest in the morals of politicians, merely telling someone the truth and having them get offended or upset by it(and them proceeding to file a police report) will be regarded as hate speech, which(the police here even say things that the 'victim' did not consider offensive will be evaluated by the police and charges could be raised) is vague and ill defined, however just because  they have perverted things so much that this situation has occurred does not change the validity of your point,

the reason why i agree with your point can be traced back to God's civil commandment to stone to death anyone who would turn Israel to idols, this is clearly a restriction on what can and cannot be said, therefore restrictions on speech cannot be inherently immoral and must be context dependent.
As an example of context independent immorality, worshiping idols instead of God, this is immoral regardless of circumstances.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
My apologies for just now getting around to reading this thread!  I LOVED it!!!  Chris, you did such a great job of handling this and I simply wanted to take a moment and let you know how much I enjoyed reading all the emails and the comments as well! 

Well done!
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13