Author Topic: Garments pertaining to men and women  (Read 3686 times)

smolemong

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 31
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Silindile
  • Belief: Christian
Garments pertaining to men and women
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

I likely have a warped sense of clothes worn in Biblical times due to "Bible movies" but I cannot comprehend this verse because I have always been under the impression that men and women basically wore the same garments and the differences were in the cut, maybe the design and perhaps fez-like hats for men and head scarves for women; but more important than any differences that may have existed between men and women's clothes is the reason GOD would consider it an abomination for either one to wear the other's clothes. GOD saw fit to make HIS view on this matter very clear, why does this matter so much?

I considered the possibility that for men it was applicable if they became eunuchs in a kings harem. In some parts of Asia it was practice for eunuchs to dress as women, probably to not stand out in the performance of their duties. Nevertheless I am unable to come up with a really suitable explanation for the relevance and importance of this scripture and it has both since we have it.
Romans 8:5-6 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. [6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

creationliberty

• Administrator
  • Pillar of the Community (Forum LVL MAX)
  • Edification: 447
    • View Profile
    • Creation Liberty Evangelism
  • First Name: Christopher
Re: Garments pertaining to men and women
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 05:56:03 PM »
I really ought to do a teaching on this because I've had so many letters where people do, as you said, have a warped understanding of this. The matter's really simple when you stop and think about it.
This is actually really simple. Clothes are referring to the physical covering of the body, therefore, the clothing would only refer to that which is unique to the different the features between men and women.

For example, men should not wear a bra. That's a female-exclusive garment, or one could say, a garment that is made specifically FOR females. Thus, we need to look for what is exclusively made for women in a society, and what is exclusively made for men.

So suit jackets with a tie are made for men. That's why women shouldn't wear them. Dresses are exclusively made for women. That's why men shouldn't wear them.

The argument really comes down to pants (or since the British call women's underwear "pants," we could say "trousers") -- should women wear trousers? That's what everyone loves to argue, and that's due mostly to the Pentecostals and their false doctrine nonsense. Trousers don't have any specific features that are meant for men only. If someone wants to argue against that for women, then you would have to argue the opposite for men concerning robes warn in the days of the early church.

The point is that you have to look at the society, and purpose of wearing a particular garment. If we take a look at genitals only, then pants would make more sense for women and dresses would make more sense for men; however, that's not their intended function. The debate is long and boring, and that's probably why I haven't written about it yet.
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
-Psa 34:18

Masha

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:46:46 AM »
ive been doing quite some research on this matter. my husband thinks women should not wear pants, yet I failed to find any Biblical reason for that. it is true that pants were originally worn only by men working in factories. (beginning 1900) As women also started working in those factories due to the worldwar they wore them too. We can therefor roughly say women have been wearing pants for about a century, and nowadays we would not consider a pair of trousers a mens garment, right?? If this is so, there would be no Biblical ground for saying women shouldn't wear pants.
In a former post i also attached a few images (i will try to find them), to show that basically clothing has changed over time and the proper dress for women and men have varied througout the ages. if Gods rule were to be taken to the letter, women would not only be able to wear trousers, but also skirts, leggings and even long robes would be on the list, as men have worn those througout history.
I strongly believe Gods point with His command is a different one: as we see genderconfusion on the rise and gay publicity everywhere i believe God is saying we, as women, are to maintain our natural given feminity and men are to be significantly different. the infinite discussion on what that looks like in practise is something that our society dictates. it is influenced by what is common to wear in a specific culture. Women have some good clear information from the Bible how they are supposed to handle their outward appearance, it is not so neatly divided as to 'not wearing skirts'. I see some women wearing a skirt and look indescent, they would be better off wearing pants...yet i also see women who are deprived of their femininity and look like men. A skirt would not help much to that image..
I hope I am making myself clear. This is just my humble understanding. If I am wrong I'd be delighted to learn.

As to why God has put that verse, I believe men and women have had differences of appearance in every culture and age. it is logical to assume that even in Biblical times there would have been men or women that had the desire to dress inappropriately. just like we have today.

1 Peter 3 3, Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Proverbs 31:25, Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Deuteronomy 22:5 - The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Timothy 2:9 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1 Timothy 2:9-10 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 

Isaiah 61:10 - I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh  with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth  with her jewels.

1 Corinthians 11:6-10 - For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.   

Deuteronomy 22:11 - Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Colossians 3:12-13 - Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;   

Leviticus 19:19 - Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.

smolemong

• CLE Church Members
  • Sojourner (Forum LVL 2)
  • Edification: 31
    • View Profile
  • First Name: Silindile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
I remember debating the "trouser" issue with a man I used to know and he was convinced they were not to be worn by women and I insisted that the scripture couldn't have been referring to pants because, to the best of my knowledge, they were not customarily worn in that time and area. I believed it had to do with people exchanging garments in order to misrepresent their gender like male prostitutes and drag queens do today.

I went through a period where I wondered if I and women in general should wear trousers. I also couldn't find Biblical eveidence that suggested it wasn't acceptable to do so. Eventually I decided that for the sake of practicality (I am quite active exercise wise, because of work & for health reasons) I would wear them and strive to ensure that if I did I strove for modesty. I really like dresses but fashion houses are yet to design a dress I could run 5km in...

As for modesty, that is something I debated quite often in the last year with one lady at work in particular. For example I pointed out that she wouldn't go around the mall in her bra and panties (which she agreed with) so how come it was all right for her to wear a bikini just because she was at the beach? We debated the length of dresses and skirts etc.

I remember reading an article where a researcher took pictures of Hollywood "starlets" over a certain time period and compared how much skin they showed in modern times compared to the past. Apparently, in the early days of cinema actresses used to mostly expose their faces and at times their arms, nowadays I think I need say nothing further. I think he estimated that they exposed 74% more of their flesh and it is acceptable to most of the world. I believe that one of the problems of modern times is the idea that GOD modernises with the times and Biblical virtue should alter to suit the present age if GOD did that then how could HE say in Malachi 3: 6 "For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." and Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."
Romans 8:5-6 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. [6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

TheChickenWhisperer

• BANNED
  • Adept (Forum LVL 4)
  • Edification: -20
  • Braille Chicken Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Essentially Braille
  • First Name: Tonya
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
Wow!  Loaded subject!

Tell me, is it modest to work in your garden in a skirt?  Is it modest to exercise in a skirt?

Is your hair short?  Do you need to cover your head?

What about your feet?  How is OK to expose our feet, but not cover our legs by wearing a skirt?

What about your arms?  Will you cover your arms like you do your shoulders?

Personally, I see this as a distraction.  Are you modest?  That is what God's Word calls us to do.  It does not tell us details on modesty. 

I am not sure this is something Chris needs to write on.  There are more serious issues at hand.  What evil is printed on your clothing?  What are you supporting by purchasing certain clothes?  There are other, more important subjects to be concerned with. There is more to following I Tim. 2:9 than putting on a skirt for women and a shirt and tie for men.
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13